1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 15

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by justgladtobehere, Dec 12, 2018.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

What that demonstrated more than anything is how dominant their offensive line is. Bell to Conner to Samuels, barely missing a beat.

BTW, Samuels taking a siesta on the Patriots' bench will hopefully be used as his football card next year. It was hysterical.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Foles seems like Mariano Rivera. Wentz goes 12 or 13 games, Foles comes in as the closer for the last seven.

Also, it's a weird coincidence that in 2017 Wentz got hurt and Foles took over in a Week 14 road win against the Rams. In 2018 Wentz got hurt after Week 14 and Foles took over for a road win against the Rams.
    This Eagles team is not as good as last year's but that's a good omen.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Foles didn't throw the Super Bowl.

He's not Earl Morrall.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think the difference with Bell is that he was still able to produce even when the line wasn't dominating. He was able to do something special and make a play when nothing was there more often. He also had the trust of the coaching staff, so they were more likely to keep running even when it didn't work early.

Bell is better than both Conner and Samuels, but the effectiveness of Conner and Samuels this season certainly calls into question just how much value Bell really brings to the table. It's a tough sell for Bell to say it was all about him when Jaylen Samuels ran for 100 yards for the first time ever, including college and high school, behind that offensive line.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If there's one thing teams tend to overrate year in and out, it's their offensive lines. Bell will profit from that market defect.

6. outofplace

That is the sad part in all this. Some team will be stupid enough to overpay Bell.

7. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Washington flashed some potential yesterday, also.

If they can find a QB to replace Roethlisberger in a couple years, they are going to be what they have been for the last 50 years; a playoff caliber team with the potential to win a SB if the pieces fall correctly during a season.

JuJu is a HOF receiver. The city of Pittsburgh has been given some special athletic gifts over the past five decades. This kid is another one.

Swann and Stallworth

Carter and Moss

Brown and Smith-Schuster

Those are teammates that played together in their primes, or very close to, and made the HOF. I think that's the list.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Dan Snyder

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Let's let JuJu get to age 25 before getting the bust ready

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Somebody here a month or two ago had Carson Wentz in the Hall of Fame.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He’s not quite the Harold Baines of the NFL. That would be Ken Anderson

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  12. outofplace

It is far too early to start talking about Smith-Schuster going to the Hall of Fame. Antonio Brown still has work to do to earn his way to Canton and he is a hell of a lot more accomplished at this point than Smith-Schuster.

Think about it. Brown had a run of about five years that he was the best in the game and this season he is still damn good, but he's not at that level. Maybe that is already the start of a decline. He is currently 35th all-time in receiver yards, behind the likes of Muhsin Muhammed and Derek Mason, neither of whom is going to get there. He is 29th in receptions, again behind guys who are not in anybody's HOF conversation. I'm not saying he won't get there. I think he will. I just think we need a little perspective on Smith-Schuster.

That bit about replacing Roethlisberger is a very big if. I'm not sure how old you are, but I was too young to fully appreciate the teams in the '70s. By the time I was a serious fan, guys like Cliff Stoudt and Mark Malone were starting over 20 years of mediocre quarterback play in Pittsburgh that didn't end until 2004.

Draft saved Draft deleted