1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 15: What's the Morrall to the story?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

In baseball, disagree.

Just look at the wining percentages between the best team and the worst team.

2. Simon_Cowbell

A 3 seed is not a "low seed"

3. Simon_Cowbell

The Dolphins would have to make the conference championship for me to consider them a better story than the Rays.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I'll take 66 wins to 97 wins -- the second-best record in baseball -- on $43 million in the toughest division in baseball, which included payrolls of $210 million and $135 million. Not to mention that the Rays won the AL East and the ALCS.

What Miami's doing is a great story, but they couldn't win a division in the AFC South or North.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Simon, at the national level, I would say the Rays are the better story unless the Dolphins win it all.

The Rays jumped over the Angels, Yankees and the Red Sox to reach the Division and the League Championships.

The Dolphins will leap a worn out Favre and a battered Patriots to do the same thing. Plus, the other top teams in the AFC (Pittsburgh and Tennessee) do not seem to have any real "super" qualities to them. They are good teams, but not franchises on the cusp of a dynasty by any thoughts.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Thank you. I was waiting for somebody other than me to bring up the payroll issue.

But even if all things were as close to equal financially in baseball as they are in football, the Dolphins winning the AFC East still wouldn't be a bigger turnaround than the Rays making it to the World Series.

7. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

The Dolphins have a proud history...the Rays had, well...nothing. The Fins weren't atrocious under Saban, just mediocre. You could say that about several NFL teams. If Ronnie Brown is healthy last year no way do they finish with only 1 win.

I'd put more stock into a Lions' turnaround. What's it been, 10 years since Barry Sanders walked away?

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

You've clearly missed the last 39 years of New York Jets football, haven't you?

If the Jets-Dolphins game is winner-take-all, bet the house, or what's left of it, on the Dolphins.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The NFL's swift justice is finally served on Jags WR Matt Jones ...

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h0hjHRBuSNOkT44LEwz-H3Yn-ExgD94VBNPG1

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Is it too late to note that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are the sorriest-looking 9-4 team ever?

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Should the Jets miss the playoffs, look no further than gangrene's non-performances in Cali.

• Mon, Sep 22 at San Diego: 48-29 loss.
    • Sun, Oct 19 at Oakland: 16-13 OT loss.
    • Sun, Dec 7 at San Francisco: 24-14 loss.

The combined record of the California teams is a less-than-imposing 13-26.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Joey Porter just did a little dance in his living room.

Draft saved Draft deleted