1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 15: O holy night, the Starrs are brightly shining

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Dec 15, 2009.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Well, since Aliquippa seems to be the topic du jour......

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09240/993693-365.stm

That town has produced some great football players, that's for sure.

And Darrelle Revis put on one of the all-time great one-man shows in his final high school game, a state championship win. I think he scored five or six touchdowns, four or five different ways or something.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Thanks for the link, zag. This is the most amazing part to me, one which I completely forgot about:

All of this from a school that is the 15th smallest in the WPIAL. In terms of enrollment, Aliquippa would be a middle-of-the-pack team in Class A. But the Quips choose to play "up" in Class AA. From 1984 through 1989, Aliquippa played in Class AAA.

3. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

My thoughts:

DPOY should be Charles Woodson. After the way Dom Capers let him loose in the middle of the season, Green Bay's defense looks like an entirely different unit.

This is the first year in a while where I think several players could make a case for MVP and each would deserve it. Manning obviously, but he's been getting a bit sloppy. You have Favre and Brees. And if the Titans make it, you have to consider Chris Johnson.

The Titans will win out, and with some help, grab the 6th. I really, really hope that happens, because I think they deserve to be there, and I want to watch Chris Johnson come playoff time.

The Cowboys will be the odd man out in the NFC. I see Philly vs. NYG in the 1st round, and Arizona vs. GB. Interesting matchup, because GB plays Arizona in Arizona in week 17 as well. That could turn into basically a preseason game. Dallas might get in if they beat Philly at home in the final week, but that could depend on how hard the Vikings try to win week 17 against the Giants.

I'm still hoping both Indy and NO lose a game, because I just don't buy either one as all-time great. Neither team is as dominant as the 07 Pats, not even close. Both have major glaring weaknesses. They look like the conference's typical 13-3 or 14-2 best team, but I don't want either of those teams wearing the 19-0 badge.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I saw Revis play high school ball. He started at quarterback and defensive back and returned kicks. His regular-season statistics weren't eye-popping because Aliquippa ran an offense that spread the ball around, but when you saw him in person, you could tell that he was something special. That was even before the five-touchdown performance in the 2003 state championship game against Northern Lehigh that Zag referenced.

Pardon me for bringing up that team, but I was pissed when the Jets jumped ahead of the Steelers to grab him. Revis is the total package and he is going to be an elite corner for a long time.

5. zagoshe

Not being a smartass - but I was honestly surprised the Steelers did not jump up a few spots to make sure they got Revis. He'd certainly help them right now and I thought he was their kind of guy.

The kid that is at Pitt right now - the big receiver Baldwin - he has the looks of the next great one from that town.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

I think they all are mediocre at best after the top four -- interchangabley average at best.. From what I saw last night, the Cardinals are less than mediocre.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They have problems with the Niners. It's consistent. Weird, yes,
    but there it is.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

For all the shit people give Norv Turner around here, his Chargers teams start to peak in December. If not for a scheduling quirk, last year's San Diego team wouldn't have been 4-8 at one point1 and his effort there would probably be thought of more highly.

They're 10-3 with a shot at 13-3 and a home playoff game in the AFC semifinal2 if they win their home game with Cincy this weekend.

1Steelers-Colts-Falcons all in a row in November? Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ. All three losses by all of 10 points against three good teams.
    2They already have a game on the Bengals but if Cincy wins that game it controls the tie-breaker.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Multiple footnotes in a post? Pretty impressive. :)

10. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I'm not sure that Minnesota is better than Philly right now. And I'm not really sure that Minnesota or Philly is better than GB. New Orleans is my #1, after that, I think GB/Philly/Minnesota would all compete pretty closely with one another. The GB team that lost twice to Minnesota just isn't the same one that's playing now.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I don't think GB wins a playoff game this year.

12. zagoshe

Well here is a good question -- outside of the top four teams, which team has the best chance to crash the party and get to the Super Bowl.

I happen to think it is the Eagles for a lot of reasons

Draft saved Draft deleted