1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 15: O holy night, the Starrs are brightly shining

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Enough of that steely debate.

It's the most wonderful time of the year: the final 3 weeks of the NFL regular season. Who'll be dashing through the snow to grab that cherished slot in the "tournament?"

There's a great wild card race in the AFC — hell, even the Texans have a slim shot. The NFC seems set except for the East, which will come down between the Eagles, Cowboys and Giants for the 3 and 6 seeds.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Am I the only one that thinks the Eagles are priming themselves for a run again?

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I think there's going to be a late-charging team get in as the six seed in the AFC.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My first thought is the Eagles don't have a good enough defense to make a run, but the Saints really aren't much better defensively and Philadelphia is one of the teams that can hang with New Orleans in a shootout.

Is there anybody with a defense worth trusting right now?

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The sked is in Baltimore's favor.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's Week 15 and Pittsburgh still sucks.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

My meaningless NFC power rankings have it New Orleans, Minnesota, and Philly, just like the standings. The Saints can play some defense, as we saw this year against New England among other teams. Philly's defense isn't exactly a slouch. If the team with the best defense is going to the Super Bowl though, you probably have to favor Minnesota, but can they do enough to stop New Orleans?

Remember this is an era of offensive, high-flying pass happy football. Teams will give up big plays, and it's not like the Giants are just a bunch of dicks trying to play football.

I can trust those top three teams. After that? Eh, it gets dicier.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I would've said the Cowboys before Ware got hurt. As underperforming as the offense has been, the defense has been very consistent. ADD: That suck-ass red zone offense is a show-stopper.

9. outofplace

Fixed that for you.

10. outofplace

Minnesota finally got Wingfield (sp?) back at cornerback. That makes a big difference if they can upgrade the coverage behind that pass rush. They need to get Harvin healthy and keep Favre healthy. If that happens, they probably have the best all-around team.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

They could easily handle either of the bye teams.

Andy Reid is an incredible coach and they really hitched the wagon to the right guy in Donovan McNabb.

And, apologies to Sonner (I think), who said that Vick would become a greater part of their winning equation.

I was wrong in saying that the Atlanta game would be more or less the last time we'd see Vick in any substantive role.

Eagles could easily be playing in Miami.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The problem is they could just as easily lose on wildcard weekend.

Draft saved Draft deleted