1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 15: Mike Phipps' late delivery

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Dec 11, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's right, I think they can, but it's SOP for the NFL to convert suspensions into fines so I imagine the league will try to go that route. Whether that then goes to an arbitrator who isn't a league stooge, I don't know.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Did Payton, the GM and other coaches not appeal their suspensions?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

RGII says RGIII playing Sunday. RGI unavailable for comment. RGIV still nothing but a twinkle in RGIII's eye.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Since ESPN can't flex the Monday night game, it's probably looking into a way to force the Jets to start Tebow so the ratings will dwarf the Niners-Pats game. :D

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'd love it if the Jets deactivated him for that game.

6. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Dez is considering playing through the injury.

As a Cowboys fan, I'm happy and fearful if he tries to play through it. Happy that he's showing he gives a shit about the team, fearful that he could really screw something up/make it much worse.

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

Some of us were never sure of that. I think even Mizzou had his doubts.

For all the talk of his big plays in the passing game in those first two weeks (including the first St. Louis game), he hasn't shown a lot of that lately. And remember Vernon Davis acting as if this kid was going to resurrect his season (“I felt like somebody took the handcuffs off me.”)? In the three games since he said that, Davis has a grand total of three catches for 19 yards.

Go back to sleep, Vern.

The thing is, the kid has something and he has a chance to be really good. But he isn't RGIII. And Smith has had an outstanding year.

Are the 49ers better off right now with Kaepernick? I don't think the answer is a clear yes. I don't think it ever was.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Broncos haven't played a winning team in two months (Unless you count Cincinnati). They are the hardest team to read at this point. Yes, they've won 8 straight games and that's impressive under any circumstances. But given their schedule, it doesn't require one to be much more than competent and not beat themselves.

I suspect Denver is a different, and probably better, team than the one that lost to the Falcons, Texans and Patriots early on. Are they a legitimate Super Bowl contender? Maybe Sunday's game will provide a clue.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Te-BOW, Te-BOW, Te-BOW!!!!

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Kaepernick has played fairly well for the past 4 games. He had an awful pitch that cost the Niners a TD. If Akers was even a decent NFL kicker this year, Kap's record would be 5-0, not 3-1-1 (I'm putting the first Ram game on Kap). You want horrible, look at the Cardinals situation.

Brady did not start out lights out his first 4, certainly not Manning nor Elway. Everyone has growing pains. Possible right now, Smith may be > Kap, but in January my $$ is Kap >>Smith.

11. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I agree. But where I think the Broncos are semi-legit is that they've won many of the games while not looking perfect, especially on offense. Last week for example they were 2 for 7 in the redzone yet that game was never in doubt. During the streak they are outscoring opponents something like 30-18 and it hardly seems like they have it that together. They were losing 10-7 to Tampa at the half and you blink in the third quarter and it's 31-10. I think they've scored more than 30 six times during the streak. They also are actually minus-2 in turnover ratio and one of the most fumble prone teams in the league. These things may show serious weaknesses and it's been smoke and mirrors or maybe the league should look out if they actually put it all together.

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

Didn't say he was horrible. But if the Niners want pretty good, they had that. And for the vast majority of this season, Smith has been better than pretty good.

Obviously, there will be growing pains for the rookie.

But you've got a chance to win the Super Bowl now. There isn't time for growing pains.

In two years or even next year, will Kaepernick be better than Smith? Too early to tell, but possibly, maybe even probably.

Right now? And in one month against playoff competition? I don't know. Remember, Smith has done it. He came up huge in a tough situation against New Orleans. At best, it's too close to call. I sure wouldn't go so far as to say Kaepernick>>Smith.

Draft saved Draft deleted