1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 15- A Starr shines bright

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Screw AB. That horse's ass deserves to have to sit and watch Gordon bust out yet again.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Imagine what he would be like if he was still on the Steelers with those scrub quarterbacks throwing to him? Brown's head would have exploded by now.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

There is just no way that the Chargers can be long term viable in LA.
    [​IMG]

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yeah, my point is that the Seahawks were willing to give yet another chance to Gordon, a less-talented receiver with a longer history, rather than deal with the headaches that AB would have caused. I find it amusing that he's done this to himself.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. outofplace

I get that, but it isn't exactly accurate. Gordon was eligible to play when the Seahawks brought him in. Brown still isn't eligible to play and won't be until the league makes a final ruling. Clearly, the NFL had no interest in dealing with it during this season. I hate to take Brown's side in anything, but he is right in saying the league has taken way too long to investigate and make a ruling regarding any discipline related to the accusations of sexual harassment, sexual assault and rape.

Brown's absence has certainly hurt the Steelers. Roethlisberger's injury is obviously the most important reason the offense is a mess, but that receiving corps misses Brown, too. On the other hand, he never would have been able to handle working with bad quarterbacks, and clearly that describes both Rudolph and Hodges.

That Brown has screwed himself so completely, on the other hand, is certainly worthy of amusement. He deserves every bit of crap he gets.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Brown is eligible to play. He's not on the exempt list. Yet.

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

The absence of 2017 Antonio Brown is hurting the Steelers. I’m not sure 2019 Antonio Brown being in the lineup would have been a net positive, mainly because I think he’d have been a bigger cancer than he was starting to be last year, and for the reason you state a colossal one after Roethlisberger went down this year.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

He's seemingly in the same limbo Barry Bonds was, his "final" year. No team is going to sign him because they expect the second that they do, he'll be suspended. I don't like Brown and I don't think his behavior has been excusable this year, but NFL management as usual manages to be shitty by not just suspending him for X games.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Fair, but the Seahawks signed Gordon saying they thought he's "a special talent," not because they needed help at WR. They're pretty deep at the position. They could have made a run at Antonio Brown back in September when the Raiders released him or when the Steelers were ready to move on from him, but never bothered.

The Seahawks obviously believe the guy who has been suspended five times for drugs was a better character fit for their team than AB, even before the assault allegations came out. Just goes to show how bad Brown stained his reputation in a very short period of time.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Per CBS Sports, Russell Wilson wanted the team to sign Brown. And before him, Brady supposedly wanted the Pats to keep him despite the assault allegations. So yeah, he's a pain in the ass, but as usual the bottom line in the NFL for most players is, "Can this pain in the ass help me win some games?" It was against the Dolphins while they were still hapless, but he had one decent game in the one game he played this year.

Again - I think Brown is an ass and probably not a great guy. But I also think the NFL is dragging its feet with its "investigation," which I'm sure is incredibly busy and active. Suspend the guy, or announce that he's not suspended and won't be facing a suspension.

11. outofplace

My bad. I believe you are correct, though sgreenwell is correct that having the suspension hang over him is making teams stay away. What team wants to be the one that just added him knowing about the accusations, only to immediately lose him to suspension. Then they take the public relations hit without any benefit on the field.

12. outofplace

To be fair, they brought in Gordon much later. Brown was on the Patriots when the allegations came out. The point when the Seahawks chose Gordon over Brown was after the Patriots released Brown.

I do get your overall point, though, that Brown really screwed himself. I don't think the difference is about the risk of the guy being an ass and screwing things up. Part of the difference is between Gordon's problem is about substance abuse while Brown's is a matter of sexual misconduct. The latter is a far bigger potential public relations hit. The other issue is that Brown has a history of causing issues in the locker room and on the field, not just with off-field behavior. Brown basically screwed over the Steelers and he did it with intent, something teams are not going to want to put up with. I also think that is why players might be more willing to put up with Brown's antics than front offices.

Draft saved Draft deleted