1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 14

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by John B. Foster, Dec 5, 2018.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

An absolute embarrassment by the Donkeys. Which is just as well if it gets the coach fired as many want.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Well maybe they should've just kept Dez. Cooper has been good and they should win the East which lowers that pick for the Raiders.
    If they win the division and lose in the first round was Cooper worth a 1st rounder?

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm now in the camp of Steelers fans who want Mike Tomlin gone. His decision to sit Roethlisberger most of the second half today was that bad. I don't even want to hear his explanation. The Steelers are going to miss the playoffs and the coach absolutely deserves the blame. He deserves the blame for the sloppy efforts the last two weeks and he deserves it for giving a game away to the Raiders today.

For those who didn't see it, Roethlisberger suffered a rib injury in the second quarter today. He played on the next drive, marching the Steelers for a touchdown to take a 14-10 lead. Then he didn't come out with the team for the second half. He jogged onto the field in time for the second drive of the third quarter, but did not play. For some ridiculous reason, Tomlin thought his defense could make that four-point lead hold up with no help at all from the offense. The offense was predictably awful with Josh Dobbs at quarterback. The second-year scrub threw one ugly interception and the one decent drive with him playing ended with a pass for no gain on fourth-and-one.

Once the Raiders regained the lead with just over five minutes left, Roethlisberger returned to the game and led the Steelers to a touchdown. Oakland charged right back down the field to regain the edge at 24-21 with 21 seconds remaining. The Steelers got in position for a tying field goal with a hook-and-lateral, but Chris Boswell slipped and his kick was blocked. Boswell also missed a short field goal in the second quarter.

Tomlin has not has his team ready three consecutive weeks. He stubbornly refused to replace Boswell, who has been awful this season. He once again allowed his defensive coordinator to run a scheme that constantly put linebackers one-on-one with wide receivers or the Raiders' standout tight end. Then he just gave away all but the last two offensive possessions of the second half.

The Steelers will lose at home to the Patriots next week and then at New Orleans Week 16. They will beat the Bengals in the final game, but 8-7-1 isn't going to be enough to make the playoffs. It is time for the Steelers to consider moving on from Tomlin. The clock is ticking on Roethlisberger's career and he just gave away a season.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I figured the boys would win the division just because everyone else in the division was terrible, but they'll end up hosting Seattle, Carolina or Minnesota and I'd guess they've got a decent shot at advancing.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

That was indeed a shitshow.
    They need to move on from Joseph.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Cooper is worth it. As of right now, that pick is 26th in the draft. He is also under contract for next season, so it's not like he was a rental. Is a 75-catch, 1,000-yard 9-TD receiver worth the 26th pick?

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I didn't see the game, but I have to imagine losing Sanders really hurt that offense. I didn't think they had another receiver they can trust.

As bad as it was to lose to the 49ers, this is a team that scrambled back into the playoff picture by beating the Chargers and Steelers. Sure, the Steelers are currently on a string of finding ways to lose, but the Broncos still had to do some things to take advantage.

Then again, what do I know? Last night I was calling for the Steelers to fire a coach who has led the team to the Super Bowl twice, won it once and he has never had a losing season. I stand by what I wrote today. My opinion has not changed. I guess by that line of thinking, quite a few head coaches should be looking for new jobs this offseason.

Maybe Tomlin to the Broncos? (I'm kidding. The Steelers aren't going to fire Tomlin even though they should.)

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Denver had no receivers once Sanders went down. This coach has been given a backup QB paid like a starter. He has an undrafted FA as his best RB and pretty much nothing else on offense. He’s taken chicken shit and turned it into salad so far this season.

That roster isn’t the coaches fault.

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Tomlin believes every player on his team can play. Dobbs couldn’t get the job done. He didn’t fuck up the Bell situation. He didn’t sign a kicker to a long contract that cannot kick.

The D coordinator needs to go. So many draft picks have been invested in that defense, it just needs to work better.

The Steelers don’t cycle through coaches like 3/4ths if the league. They don’t. It’s worked for 50 years, no reason to stop now.

10. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

He's no Roy Williams

11. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Believing that a 4th rd guy named Dobbs can get the job done as well as a future HOF QB is a fireable offense

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted