1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 14: Ryan Fitzpatrick, the $59 million albatross

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 6, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

CBS wins. Tebow will stay at 2:15 p.m. MST next Sunday. Ravens-Chargers stays in prime time.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

There are quarterbacks who lead their teams to victory in the final moments. But except for what -- George Blanda with the 1970 Raiders? -- I don't remember a quarterback that came off the bench to do that just about EVERY game.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Tebow hasn't come off the bench. It might look like that because he has sucked along with the rest of the offense for the first half-plus of some of these games, but he wasn't actually benched.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

If someone has already posted this and I missed it, I apologize.

Miami LB Karlos Dansby apparently told Jim Rome that God is working through Tebow, and that getting beat in St. Tim's first miracle has brought the Dolphins closer to God.

I could not begin to make this up.

“Us losing to Tim Tebow the way we did, we seen it first hand,” Dansby said on Rome’s radio show. “Young man is blessed. Young man has a special anointing on him. And for God to show himself in that game the way He did, through the guy He did it through, it opened a lot of guys’ eyes on our team. And it brought a lot of guys closer to God, so like I said, everything happens for a reason. . . . My hat goes off to Tim. And God working through him like that, it opened up a lot of eyes. He’s a blessed young man and I wish him much success the rest of his career.”

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Total BS. The whole point is to put on a marque game in prime time.

I'll get Bears-Broncos this Sunday, sure hope I get the late CBS game in week 15.

The Kraft/CBS relationship is also BS, and should not be allowed. They are partners in a restaurant at the stadium? Um, is CBS in the restaurant business with anyone else?

Kraft is the chairman of the TV committee. he shouldn't have side deals of his own with one of the networks he negotiates with. It's a conflict, and it clearly played a role here.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Have at it then.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But it's also another way for the NFL to push Sunday Ticket and the Red Zone Channel. With RZC I bet I see well more than half of that game anyway.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

He has come off the bench, in that he wasn't the starter when the year began. Which is what I meant.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Can't you just see Charles Durning as Coach Johnson, telling Delma Huddle he has to take The Needle?

(Man, did that LB ever blow him up ...)

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Which is certainly fun, but let's remember that with the exception of this last game, the ineffective offense with him pulling the trigger was the reason they were in those holes in the first place.

Remember, he got three or four chances at a "last-minute" winning drive against the Chargers because his defense kept giving him opportunities.

What that team is doing is impressive and he is certainly playing an expanded role in that. The Broncos are dangerous. But he still has some very real limitations and those limitations are the only reason the Denver coaching staff is willing to use him this way. If they really had faith in him ever becoming a long-term answer at quarterback, no way they would expose him to punishment this much.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

That made far too much sense for the Tebow freaks, OoP. And more sense than they deserve.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If they really had faith in him ever becoming a long-term answer at quarterback, no way they would expose him to punishment this much.

The coaches should have protected Tebow like Chicago protected prototype QB Kyle Orton.

THAT'S the way to play honorable professional football.

And I love it that the bar's been moved so far that Tebow gets criticized when the Broncos only win at the end of overtime. 6 weeks ago, the hyena pack declared with no uncertainty the Tebow wasn't any kind of qb at all. Now, when the Broncos beat Rivers and the Chargers at the end of OT, he's a loser as well.

The best part though, is self -admitted blowhard, and serial message board bungler Herbert Anchovy only has the smarts to say, "attaboy, OOP!"

Draft saved Draft deleted