1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 13 thread: The league tries to hide its horrible officiating

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Dec 1, 2015.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Seems like the league could do a lot to improve things. I think Blandino's experience in video replay is good, but skews his thinking. Rewrite the rules, define some things, but still allow for judgement calls.
    Treat officials better, rely on the proven ones. Too often the league seems eager to throw them under the bus, which leads to more officials leaving and less experienced ones in their place.
    Acknowledge the improvement in technology, but realize the humans on the field can't slow things down.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

BRING BACK MIKE CAREY!!!!!!.

Or not.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

What do you do between January, when the demand for officials goes down by half, then even more so as the playoffs progress, and July, when exhibition games start?

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Even a high school official knows the rulebook inside and out.
    Certainly better than the jokers online questioning their every move.
    The job is a very hard one.
    The league can ease the problem by trimming the rulebook. It is simply too big.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I don't know. What do the players do during that time?

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Reading what I have about officiating, it seems like the league is doing everything it can to "improve" things. Tests, training, feedback, grades. Micromanaging to the nth degree.
    The only thing the league should care about is that officials are in proper position and they apply the rules correctly. It think the job has gotten more difficult enough with technology, less might be more. Weird stuff happens, judgement calls are made - good and bad. Correct them with video replay. Focus on what officials can realistically do better and simplify the rule book. Throw in the constant changes in the rule for safety concerns and you get the mess we have today.
    I can see them adding an eighth official - center judge, both to watch for holding and protect the qb and perhaps allow the ref to see the entirety of a play to better understand what happened. Presently, each official has their area and nobody follows the ball.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The Rams-Cardinals line is only -6.

Why??

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Rams already beat the Cardinals in Arizona, and they have played like sons of bitches in the division ever since Fisher arrived.

9. Dick Whitman

Yeah, but that was quite a long time ago, and a different Rams team. I think that might be the best play of the week.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You're on. The winner of our bet re-posts your post at the end of the game.

(Cardinals only won by six in SF last week too, and then only because of the officiating bullshit.)

JackReacher likes this.
  11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Training, both in terms of rules, and in physical training.

12. Dick Whitman

I know. I think this is one of those overreaction lines, like the Notre Dame-Stanford one.

Draft saved Draft deleted