1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 13 thread -- Cold weather calls for Isotoners

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Dec 2, 2020.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I haven't been able to watch. Justin Tucker actually missed a field goal from less than 40 yards?

2. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

I realize you're trolling, but I'm pretty sure Kansas City will get the bye in that scenario.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

oh I see where you’re going. The NFL wants Mahomes and the Chiefs to go back to back. The face of the NFL is Mahomes.

4. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Yes, yes. That's exactly where I was going.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Name the only other NFL team to finish a season undefeated besides the Miami Dolphins.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Well, there were a couple, but one -- the Akron Pros -- was in the league's first season, before it was called the NFL (it was still the American Professional Football Association). After the name change, I believe Jim Thorpe's Canton Bulldogs did it more than once.

7. outofplace

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

"Warshington" ... yeah, he's got this place down cold.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Alabama
    Penn State

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The answer is the Cleveland Browns who went undefeated in the season before they joined the NFL. And I guess technically, it's the Ravens now, but since the NFL decided all of Cleveland's records would stay in Cleveland after Modell moved the team...
    I was surprised that it never happened between 1920 and the Super Bowl era with the shorter season and fewer teams.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Akron Pros went 8-0-3 in 1920. Canton Bulldogs were 10-0-2 in 1922 and 11-0-1 in 1923. The Packers went 12-0-1 in 1929.

Last time I checked, those were all undefeated seasons.

12. outofplace

NFL changed its rules after Alex Smith found an accidental loophole

The NFL made an in-season rule adjustment to make sure no team pulls what Washington got away with right before the half against Pittsburgh. For those who don't remember, Alex Smith was sacked and Washington had no time-outs. Smith took the ball off the field with him and his team did not have a K-ball ready. Instead of just letting the clock run out, the officials called an "administrative time-out" to find a ball. Instead of having to rush the field goal unit onto the field, Washington was able to give its kicker plenty of time and he hit from 49 yards to give the Football Team its first points of the game. I'm not sure the three points changed the eventual outcome, but that would have been a hell of a kick in the teeth for Washington to finally put together a drive after a disastrous first half on offense only to take sacks on consecutive plays and get nothing.

Draft saved Draft deleted