1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 13- The Crossed Giblets Of Death Edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 26, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I got the impression that whomever followed Parcells was going to have trouble with a media that seemed eager to flex their muscles after so many years deferring to Parcells due to the trophies but really kind of tired of his overbearing ways

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Same here.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The NFC East is such garbage.
    It's a race to 8-8 to win the division.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Dan, I think that's true to an extent.
    But if a first-time head coach comes in and think he's going to control the media narrative in NYC, as Handley and Bruce Coslet concurrently did, then it's not going to end well.

sgreenwell likes this.
  5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's so weird for a franchise whose most memorable play is a successful onsides kick.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I was a little off on the stat, because I went by something the announcers said. The number of successful kicks is actually five, and the Saints have allowed three of them (one to the Bears, two to the Falcons).
    I think they might have lost another one to the Bears as well, but it was overturned by a penalty similar to one of the kicks last night.
    Still pretty crazy, though.

7. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Not the blocked punt?

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Cardinals defensive back Josh Shaw suspended indefinitely, through at least the 2020 season, for betting on NFL games. He was put on IR in August and has not played this season.
    Shaw had another dose of infamy when he was at USC, as well.

Cards' Shaw suspended for betting on NFL games

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Oh true - I'm also thinking Handley figured that was HOW you deal with the media - the way Parcells did, but not having the trophies to back it up.

Not a fan of the new onside kick rules. Maybe if they removed the requirement for a tee and allowed a punt or drop kick to open up the possibilities.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I had forgotten about that incident. He'll need to start making other career plans.

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

couldn't he have just played minor league baseball for a while

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Dan-
    Parcells was one of the earliest "fake news" exponents. Even called the media commies. People laughed - that was 35 years ago.
    If I sound like I don't have any respect for Parcells it's because I don't.
    Handley was proof that his waffling crippled organizations.
    Say what you want about Bob Kraft but he understood this.

Draft saved Draft deleted