1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 13- The Crossed Giblets Of Death Edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Charger defender never played the ball. You have to go for the ball.

qtlaw likes this.
  2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The fact that the Redskins can finish 7-9 and potentially still win the division is kind of laughable. I know it's not going to happen, but still.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  3. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Mayfield blew it? He likely played the second half with a broken hand, all because the great Freddie Kitchens decided to try to go 95 yards with 30 seconds and no timeouts (or whatever it was) at the end of the first half.

Mayfield's "tackles" yesterday were Hubbard and McCray (who is a guard), because John Dorsey is obsessed with skill players like he's playing fantasy football.

Mayfield wasn't "covering" the Steelers' receivers, who looked like Hall of Famers yesterday against Ward, who by now has to be considered a major bust. Mayfield wasn't "rushing" a fourth-string quarterback because he hit the third-string guy with his helmet.

Mayfield didn't have a great day, but he plays for a coach who has somehow turned Odell Beckham Jr. into a possession receiver who can't get open, and can't figure out a way to have two 1,000-yard running backs and not be able to run the ball (though, see above: Hubbard, McCray, etc.).

All that and the Cleveland media is blaming the result on a T-shirt.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The t-shirt thing is stupid. That said, t-shirts that read "Pittsburgh finished it" are selling quite well.

With Mayfield, I was mostly talking about the interception. Landry was open for a big gain and Mayfield threw it well behind him. It's tough to make such a big deal out of one mistake, but it was a killer.

I wasn't thinking about larger issues with the Browns. You are absolutely correct about Dorsey's failure to address their needs on the offensive line. They were terrible there last year and he didn't address the problem in the offseason. That line against Pittsburgh's pass rush is a terrible matchup for the Browns and I was surprised it wasn't more of a factor during the game in Cleveland. As much as I put blame on Mayfield yesterday, he deserves much of the credit for the win the first time the teams played. That night, he did a great job avoiding one of the best pass rushes in the league.

Kitchens really hasn't figured out how to maximize the skill players on offense, though maybe give the Steelers a little credit for yesterday as well. Mike Tomlin takes a lot of heat and deserves much of it, but there was little question which coaching staff had the edge yesterday.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Jesus, man. The Steelers are on their 3rd qb. Their two best offensive players, Conner and JuJu, are MIA. and the Steelers are rolling to a wild card. Tomlin should be Coach of the Year.
    I hope he leaves. Steeler fans don't deserve him.

6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

He’s changing a lot of minds this year. But it’s fair to say his teams in the past hadn’t played to expectations given their talent. They should make Bud Dupree sing for his supper every year; he’s playing like a beast in his walk year, finally living up to expectations.

7. poindexter

You guys are morons.

Scout likes this.
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

That's an absolute bullshit call. The defender never alters his path, keeps running in a straight line, and the receiver initiates the contact.

The NFL's explanation is total garbage.

9. poindexter

"Defender cuts off the receiver"

WHAT IN THE ABSOLUTE FUCK??

Batman and micropolitan guy like this.
  10. outofplace

Sutton was going for the ball. The defender did not know where the ball until after he ran into Sutton. I hate to say it because I think Riveron is a joke, but they got that one right.

11. outofplace

The defender did as much to initiate contact as the receiver and he absolutely altered Sutton's path to the ball. I can certainly understand if you see the first part of that differently, but the second? Some people are clearly seeing only what they want to see on this one and that isn't me. I am happy to rip into Riveron every chance I get.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

You guys ever see a softer TD in a meaningful game than what the Texans gave the Pats on the last TD? A 36yder on a dump off to he back? It looked like flag football. As much as I don't root for the Pats, I don't see Belichek ever condoning that type of "effort" in any game.

Draft saved Draft deleted