1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 13: Ken Riley for the Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Don't live anywhere near Jacksonville and don't give a shit about Florio and PFT but do realize pushing your buttons is real easy and your hard-on for Hondo and Jacksonville is pathetic.

2. derwood

derwood Active Member

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=7293624

While Weaver is confident Khan will keep the team in Jacksonville, there is nothing written in the deal which obligates Khan to do that. Weaver's confidence stems from assurances Khan has made to him personally and the fact that the Jaguars' lease to play at EverBank Field runs through the 2029 season. If the Jaguars wanted to leave before the end of the deal, the lease requires the team to prove they had lost money in three consecutive seasons or to convince a local judge that the city was failing to properly maintain the stadium.

"It's pretty hard to put something in writing saying you have to do something but you have to trust individuals' integrity and I have no doubt that Shahid is going to do what he plans to do," Weaver said. "I had to be comfortable that his plan was to keep the team in Jacksonville. There's not a doubt in my mind that this team will be in Jacksonville."

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

You don't think Roger Goddell is opening his London map?

Personally, I'd move 'em to Vancouver.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So is Green.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Green is the next Michael Irvin. He'd make a lot of young QBs look good.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agree on Green.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Irvin is great, but I think Green is more of a cross between Moss and Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzpatrick.

Green makes catches that Irvin only dreamed about making. Right now, Green can only dream of being as consistant as Irvin.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I didn't see that segment, but I'm guessing the argument was along the lines of Tebow's popularity in Florida as a draw to get fans into the stadium. It's not an unfair argument that a team that doesn't draw for shit might have been well-served to draft the most popular player in the state's recent memory.

I wouldn't make the argument that not drafting Tebow was a mistake, but I can understand it.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Take it from a veteran of the Doug Flutie as a Patriot era in the 1980s. Getting a local hero quarterback to sell tickets is NOT a good idea. If the local hero doesn't succeed, fans blame the franchise, not the hero.

10. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Texas passed on Vince Young, and that worked out well in the long haul.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Maybe Freeman was wrong with that initial blog about there being a written agreement between Wayne Weaver and Sahid Kahn about moving the team. But here's another take:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-cole_jacksonville_jaguars_new_owner_los_angeles_112911

Translation: the team's not going anywhere, any time soon.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Don't you think the chance of players balking at being in Europe is a very real consideration? I can't imagine too many of these guys willingly living in London.

Draft saved Draft deleted