1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 13: Ken Riley for the Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Too bad Birmingham isn't a contender for a team, but if that ever happened, you'd know the NFL would fold in two seasons.

2. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

It's on old joke, but it stll made me laugh. Poor Birmingham.

That being said...is there an untapped market for the NFL still out there besides LA in terms of size?

Would a place like San Antonio, Portland or Toronto be able to pull it off? They have shown they can support major sports, but would territorial rights be a battle?

3. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Vegas? Austin? OKC?

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It's weird that there are no untapped cities in SEC country that could support an NFL team. They love college ball so much, you'd think there would be a market for a pro team.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Vegas seems too transient a population for anyone to hold an allegiance to an NFL squad (unless it covered every point spread :D ). I don't think Texas needs a third team.

OKC just doesn't seem like a pro-level city to me, even with the Thunder there, but admittedly, I've never been there, so I may be completely wrong.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

How are any of those places better than just keeping the teams where they are?

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh look, it's the only person on the board who likes both hondo and Jacksonville! A pretty sad existence. You can just STFU, as I wasn't wasting the keystrokes referring to you, fellow Jags fanboi, and I'll continue to point out how stupid your little friend is for a long time to come.

Aren't you the genius who didn't think Pro Football Talk broke news? LOL. What is it in the water down there?

8. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Maybe they're not, but those are the first few that pop into my head.

I still think Minnesota is a great market for pro football. They support the hell out of the Vikes when there is a reason to. They have good fans, they've just given up. They need to be given a reason to support a franchise that isn't trying.

Jacksonville was a disaster a lot of people saw coming though.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

The thought of hondo the redneck racist rooting for a Pakistani-owned team did make me laugh. :D

I can't wait to see next week's MNF broadcast to hear how Tirico spins Jacksonville's bleak future. Shittiest market in pro sports, half-empty stadium, worst QB in the league, GM who wasted a top 10 pick on him just extended three years, L.A. beckoning. Good luck with that.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, but most of the locals have loved their local college teams since birth. They don't have the same connection with the pro football teams.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

There are already teams in Atlanta, New Orleans, Nashville, Jacksonville, Tampa and Charlotte (plus Houston, Dallas, St. Louis and Kansas City which are about to be SEC markets).

Where else in "SEC country" would you put a team?

Birmingham? Memphis? Little Rock? Shreveport?

It would make more sense to put a second team in Chicago.

12. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Jake Delhomme was just intercepted.

Draft saved Draft deleted