1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL week 13 and a half: Ravens vs. Packers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

More stupid-ass ESPN revisionism. I take issue with the notion that the Packers became a passing team when Favre got there ... they've primarily been a passing team my whole football-watching life going back to the late 70s.

James Lofton is in the fucking Hall of Fame after all. Lynn Dickey had two 4,000-yard passing seasons in the early 80s. Sterling Sharpe caught nearly as many passes from Don Majkowski as he did from Favre. Etc., etc.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Postgame injury report:

Back judge doubtful for next week with strained rotator cuff from throwing all those flags;

Referee questionable for next week with strained throat from announcing all the penalties.

3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Jim Del Gazio could throw the ball...or so they thought.

Seriously, if someone said that they haven't been paying attention. Dickey could throw, just don't ask him to avoid the rush.

I thought John Jefferson would have a longer run there. One of my favorites, going back to ASU.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

5. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Nicely played.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Try googling the last NFL team to gain more yards rushing than passing. I tried. Good luck.

Maybe early 80s Redskins?

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Most recent I found so far is the 1984 Chicago Bears with 2,974 yards rushing and 2,463 passing. McMahon only started nine games that year and wasn't that great when he was in the lineup. They had all kinds of trouble with fill-ins. I think that might have been the year that Payton had to start a game at quarterback.
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/chi/1984.htm

8. Herbert Anchovy

The 1978 Patriots rushed for 3,365 yards and passed for 3,006. Four with 500-plus rushing, including Steve Grogan.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nwe/1978.htm

A year infamous for one of Billy Sullivan's shit fits in Miami at the end of the year that resulted in the firing of a coach with an 11-4 record.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Wasn't that the year Chuck Fairbanks accepted a job at Colorado with, like, two games left in the season, without even bothering to tell the Patriots he was interviewing? Sort of like what Petrino did to the Falcons.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Albert -- That was it. Fairbanks announced it the day of the regular season finale, and Sullivan ordered him out of the dressing room before the Monday Night game.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I was at that game... 23-3 Dolphins?

12. Herbert Anchovy

Just looked it up, yes, 23-3.

Back when Mike Ditka had a perm. Those were the days.

Draft saved Draft deleted