1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 12 Thread: Tom Brady is a turkey who needs a haircut!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Nov 23, 2010.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Outside of the Super Bowl year, he's 46-44 with 1 playoff appearance (a loss) in 5 years. Since '06 he's 30-28, no playoffs. Then again, how responsible is he for Cutler, Orton, Greise and Grossman? Luckman and Lujack aren't walking through that door!!

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

NFL/CBS gave us Raiders-Cowboys last year.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hell yes!!!!

4. MileHigh

Well, when the schedule came out, two of the three looked pretty good.

You've got the Lions and they've been a mess for 40 years. But it's a tradition and that's fine, especially with the third game added. But the league is limited by putting the Jets or Patriots into that slot. The Jets were promised the late slot at home after they didn't get to play the first game in the new stadium, so it had to be the Patriots.

Cowboys against the defending champions certainly looked at the time the schedule came out to be a marquee matchup, and it still might turn into a good game.

The Bengals have fallen off the face of the Earth, but in April, it was (and still is) a matchup of playoff teams from the previous year.

If the league could have predicted the Bengals and Cowboys would suck this bad, they obviously would have switched it up.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

How can Rich Campbell not join SportsJournalists.com now? He must post in this thread!

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Changing the day a game is played is a much bigger deal. It isn't something the NFL would do unless it absolutely had to. Certainly not just because the matchup doesn't look as good.

As others pointed out, people will watch anyway, so why bother?

7. MileHigh

Lions and Cowboys aren't going off Thanksgiving anytime soon. And changing the day of game is definitely a bigger deal. It's why flex scheduling was put in for the Sunday night game instead of the Monday night game.

And it's Thanksgiving. And the NFL has been playing at 10:30 a.m. MST and 2:15 p.m. MST for many many years. People will watch.

The late slot was only added a few years ago to prop up the NFL Network, to very little success.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

As much as I love the NFL, that late game just isn't appealing after a day of gorging oneself on Thanksgiving fare. If the tryptophan doesn't put you to sleep, the recent matchups will. Good chance I doze off this year before Carson Palmer's fourth INT.

9. outofplace

The way the Jets play down to their competition, he may throw for 400 yards before chucking the devastating interception that gets the Bungles beat with a minute left.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

11. outofplace

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10328/1105729-66.stm

I don't think this was on the other thread, but Richard Seymour was fined $25,000 for punching Ben Roethlisberger in the head after a play was over Sunday. The fine is the maximum allowed for fighting during a game, so the only question is if that is a bad rule.

Some of the media and players in Pittsburgh are complaining that it should be more, especially given the fines the league is imposing for hits that happen during play this season. What do y'all think?

I think it is a bit of an apples-to-oranges comparison and the league simply followed the rule that is in place. I do understand the complaint, though.

12. Considering that Seymore was fined for punching a Browns player last year, I would say 25,000 was too little, but whatever. I don't mind him not being suspended . . . he missed the second half of the game on Sunday after he was tossed, so consider it time served. But if the league wants to dangle the suspension tag on players, and doesn't follow through when a player is as blatant as was Seymore on Sunday, then I would hate to see what it takes to get a suspension.

Draft saved Draft deleted