1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 12 thread -- As sweet as a Kolber kiss

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Nov 24, 2020.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Missing:

New Orleans (-5.5) at Denver

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If you can think of a gag title that relates to Roger Staubach, you ought to be writing for Colbert.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Hat tip. Edited!

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Is Ravens-Steelers still on the board?
    If so, how have the odds shifted in the past 24 to 36 hours? Ravens are going to put in a call to Alan Ameche's ghost at some point.

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

NFL Week 12: Captain Caumebach?

NFL Week 12: Blazing through like great blazers from Anderson Little

NFL Week XII

NFL Week 12: More holding than Staubach's portfolio

6. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

After the Texans, Lions finish with the Bears, Packers, Titans, Bucs and Vikings
    Thursday is their last chance to win this season
    If they lose it would be a great time to fire Quinntricia

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't know why they wouldn't take it off the board the moment the news came out today that three more players tested positive. Who knows when we will find out which three players and who else might be placed on the COVID-19 restricted list due to close contact tracing.

I don't see how the league can play the game on Thursday and still claim it is taking the safety of the players seriously.

I write this even though the Steelers have to want to stay on schedule. Playing at home during a short week is an advantage, especially with the Ravens having to deal with so many disruptions.

I do get why the line was relatively low to start. The Ravens dominated the line of scrimmage when these teams played in Baltimore. They match up well with the Steelers. Even without Dobbins and Ingram, they still have a great running game, which attacks the weaker part of Pittsburgh's defense. The Steelers could not stop the Ravens' running game in the first meeting. The Steelers don't seem to have the running game to attack the Ravens on the ground. Baltimore has struggled to stop the run since that first meeting with Pittsburgh. The Steelers needed four turnovers by Jackson to pull that one out. To be fair, the Steelers excel at forcing turnovers, so that isn't exactly a fluke, but it is tough to rely on the rematch going exactly that way.

There are some differences from the first meeting. Though Baltimore should still be able to run and Edwards has had great success against Pittsburgh, it was Dobbins who led the way in the first meeting and he is out. Another key problem for Pittsburgh in that first game was losing Tyson Alualu to injury on the first drive of the game. He has been back for a couple of weeks now. Mike Hilton's return also gives them back probably their best tackler in the secondary, a key against Jackson.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    heyabbott likes this.
  8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Call it the Trump Bowl. Being completely irresponsible but high ratings.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'd say they have a chance to beat the Lions and the Vikings.

Not saying they'll win either of those games, but they have a chance.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Worried about the matchup with the Vikings. Panthers' run defense is still a work in progress, to be kind, and if there's one thing Minnesota can do effectively, it's use a sledgehammer back like Dalvin Cook to hammer Carolina between the tackles.

Panthers gathered a lot of confidence last Sunday ... but it was the Lions and Detroit was AWFUL. Phil Snow and Matt Rhule have to make clear that while it was progress, blanking the Lions does not mean the unit has arrived.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Sailing with Roger, the COVID Dodger ...

12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Totally irresponsible, but I'm guessing the NFL is really looking for a good excuse to play Steelers-Ravens because NBC is going to have a nutter over losing a prime-time game on a holiday with a captive (literally) audience.

Also, from the NFL's perspective, the other two Thanksgiving games are Lions-Texans, which is totally irrelevant, and Cowboys-Team, which is relevant only because Cowboys and because everyone loves this year's 19th NFC East Primetime Train Wreck.

I mean, maybe a Tuesday night game and some sort of make-good but even then I think NBC would be pretty furious, nor does any of that fix things on the medical side.

Draft saved Draft deleted