1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 11 Thread - Naanee, Naanee, goodbye Broncos?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Nov 17, 2009.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Well the bad news for you is the one team Dungy owned in the playoffs is the Bears......

And why would I need to make excuses? The Chargers are a bad matchup for the Colts, plain and simple.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And made it to the AFC championship game in 2007.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

A quick question not related to any transactions or games...
    Has anyone else noticed how many helmets are flying off of players during games this season? Used to be you'd see it once or twice a week, maybe, and it'd usually take a big-time hit. Now it seems to happen four or five times a game. I've noticed in the NFL and college this season.
    Is it a design flaw with the new generation of helmets? Are guys not buckling up their chinstraps like they used to?
    It seems like a very dangerous situation if it happens during a play or in a pile. Does anybody have any insight into this?

4. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

That's one time, and they have had arguably one of the most talented teams the last five years. They just don't carry that success into the playoffs.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I don't have any evidence to back this up, it's just my opinion, but I think the phenomenon is a combination of two factors:

1. Ridiculous thick dreadlocks being worn by a lot of players these days, which forces them to wear helmets bigger than they should.

2. New helmets with squared-off ear plates designed to better protect the jaws. The chinstraps just don't fit around them as well.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I like the second point.

The Dolphins' center Jake Grove has lost his helmet at least four times.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

From the out of left field department, the Dolphins have put Ronnie Brown on IR with a foot injury. Amidst all the running back injuries on Sunday (Benson, Westbrook, Turner) I hadn't even heard about Brown getting dinged up.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4668385

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Batman, they had been talking about it possibly being a season-ender since Monday.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8144ead2&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Raiders bench JaMarcus Russell. Bruce Gradkowski is the new "permanent" starter. Obviously, Russell has earned the benching, but if a 2-7 team is going to turn to a journeyman backup like Gradkowski, it sure sounds like they have entirely given up on Russell.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I guess I was just under a rock or something. I hadn't even heard he was hurt.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

They upset the Colts the last two seasons.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Wait a minute - I am surprised you would call Bruce Gradkowski, Pittsburgh-born and raised quarterback, a journeyman!! I thought all quarterbacks from Western Pennsylvania are born to be superstars.....

Draft saved Draft deleted