1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 11 thread -- Coming straight on like a Mark Moseley field goal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

So how is a second forward pass not a loss of down play? Brady throws it to avoid a sack knowing he's going to get a penalty. If it goes for a first down, cool because he gets third down again. If it is forth and inches, now LA has to accept to avoid a short conversion but Brady has a replay of third down. What's the disincentive there?

Tighthead likes this.
  2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

About the guy who just caught the Bucs TD:

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

To go a step further.........you could say that all talk radio is sewer.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Accurate.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sports talk radio is based on the premise that whatever just happened is all that will ever happen and defacto DEFINES whomever is involved - whether a team or player will suit up again in the following week. It's even worse when they do it in advance of a game if X loses - he SUCKS, if he wins - Greatest Ever.

Speaking of sports talk - I was running through the NFL teams as I fell asleep the other day (it helps me wind my brain down) and thought about how few team are "set" at QB for the forseeable future, whether age, injury or questions about their ability. I counted maybe 10 who have a currently healthy starting QB who won't retire in the next two years and has enough of a track record where you can plan on buying that jersey in three years and be pretty confident it would be current.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Now you've got me doing it. The Bucs, Saints, Packers, and Steelers all have strong quarterback play now, but age is a concern for all of those guys. I would be surprised if they all aren't either retired or playing elsewhere three years from now.

Patrick Mahomes and Russell Wilson are safe bets, but you could raise legitimate questions about the others. Lamar Jackson has regressed. Deshaun Watson has a mess of a team around him. Josh Allen still needs to find some consistency, but he does seem fairly safe. Kyler Murray still has to show he can consistently win from the pocket. Goff is erratic. Are Carr and Tannehill moving into an area of being safe bets?

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Can someone smarter than me explain how that double pass was legal last night?

8. Spartan Squad

It wasn't. The Rams declined the penalty which led me to ask why it doesn't come with a loss of down.

9. Spartan Squad

My favorite is "they are going to win because of they don't, the road becomes much harder for the playoffs." Or some variation of that. As if a team was planning on losing but then they looked at the standings and changed their minds. And it gets even better when you can make the same argument for both teams. Team A losses and Team B holds the tiebreaker. So Team A will win to avoid that but Team B will win so they can control the tiebreaker.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I kind of wonder if this is "new" though, or if its always been a thing. Like by the time a guy is established enough that you think of him a "sure" thing - Russell Wilson - he's on the other side of 30. If we look back 5 to 10 years, there's probably only 1 to 5 QBs at any given time that we feel really confident about going forward. And heck, after his first two or three years, we probably would have had Andrew Luck in the "sure thing" category. Injuries are a motherfucker in the NFL.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

But I think part of it is how easy it is for teams to bail out of rookie deals. Just in the last three years, Rosen, Jones, Haskins, and Darnold - who may all eventually find their place in the league, but likely not with the team that drafted them. Pre-rookie deals, teams really had to "commit" to a first round QB, but now they kind of know what the fixed cost is and can "budget" for the position on a year by year basis, making it easier to walk away if they get another high pick or the performance just isn't there. Imagine of Rosen was in year three of a six year $50 million guaranteed contract (or more - considering Sam Bradford's rookie deal (which prompted the rookie scale) was 10 years ago).

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I did not watch one singular play last night.
    Explain it.

Draft saved Draft deleted