1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 11 Running Thread: Chiefs-Rams Going Back to Cali

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Nov 13, 2018.

1. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Had a couple lengthy drives last night so I listened to the game on the radio, something I rarely do.
    The Rams radio guys are horrible. The pxp guy, J.B. Long, who shares my last name but I've never heard of him until last night, is a classic voice-inflection homer and corporate shill (obviously on orders from above). I.E., calls play in normal voice, then goes to the gutteral screech if it's a touchdown, or a first down. Super excited when the Rams do something good, obviously disappointed when the other team does something good. "Pass complete to Woods at the 25 and he carries it over the 20 into the Coors Light Silver Bullet Red Zone." "KSPN710, Rams radio ESPN Los Angeles."
    The analyst is Maurice Jones-Drew, prone to overstatement. Chiefs went 3-and-out on the first series. It actually was about 8 plays with penalties to both sides. But they didn't get a first down so he called it a 3-and-out. "Getting this 3-and-out could set the momentum for the whole game. This is huge for the Rams." Uh, no.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Listen to SiriusXM Radio's NFL Sunday Drive sometime (basically the Red Zone Channel on radio) and you'll hear every team's radio guys are like that. Homers and everything has a sponsor.

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

This is strictly situational. Because the Rams had no timeouts, their defense couldn’t get off the field. That’s a major component of my argument here.

KC had just gone 40 yards to the LA 35 with three minutes left. Rams defense was gassed. You keep them on the field and bleed the clock.

Yards aren’t automatic. Chiefs proved that the last two drives. But for this one, everything was rolling.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I can remember Kings hockey announcer Bob Miller (a Hall of Famer) telling stories about Jack Kent Cooke. Cooke wanted him to bring the sponsors into the play-by-play. "Marcel Dionne scoots up the ice like a Toyota." Miller obviously didn't want to do it, so instead of saying no to Cooke, he swallowed hard and suggested it might be better if they said things like "Looking at the Toyota scoreboard, the Kings are outshooting the Red Wings, 20-18." Or refer to the Miller Lite out of town scoreboard, etc.

maumann and playthrough like this.
  5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

When I'm in the car on Saturdays, I'll see how many miles I go on the interstate before I change channels because of unlistenable homer announcers, and there's a ton of 'em.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Five BWWs? If I'm Mexico, I'm building a wall!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Definitely a Buffalo Wild Wings. No servers in sight.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Cowboys are going to go 4-2 or 5-1 down the stretch and win the East and Jerry will think all is well, and open up the checkbook for Dax and Jason G., dooming the franchise to six more years of mediocrity.

sgreenwell likes this.
  11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

It would be delightful for the Giants and Cowboys to both finish 8-8.

Draft saved Draft deleted