1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL week 11: Norm Van Brocklin, because 550 will never be touched

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Nov 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

The Bears already lead the division. (But will finish behind the Vikings, in third).

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Beat me to it, although the Bears get yet another favorable matchup this week in Miami. Of course, after that, I see no way they beat the Eagles, Patriots, Jets or Packers, and the Vikings and Lions games (both on the road) are certainly losable). It would not surprise me to see them end up 8-8 after a 7-3 start.

3. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Allowing Angelo, Lovie and Martz to claim "we were THAT close" and perpetuate this fucking pollyanna regime.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

If I had to pick one of the sports records that's been around for a long time to be broken, it would be this one. At some point in the pass happy NFL, someone's going to toss for more than 554.

5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Somebody could hang it on the Vikings this year.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I still doubt it. If a quarterback has a great game and his team gets ahead, the team starts running to run down the clock. If he's passing a lot when his team's way behind, he's liable to get picked, sacked, and most of all, sit on the bench while the other team runs.
    It'd have to be in a shootout. And, except for the Redskins, NFL teams are so conscious about getting beat deep it'll take a heaping helping of completions to get past 550 yards.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Technically, Warren Moon did it in 1990. When he had his 527-yard game against Kansas City (a modest 27-10 win -- hardly a shootout) he had a 30-yard completion negated by a holding penalty.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm sure it was a combination of all of those factors, with perhaps a tiny bit of panic after losing two of the last three and looking like crap Sunday night.

I still think the mechanical adjustment he made for his kickoffs might have screwed him up on field goals. Reed has been better than this for a long time, so it does seem odd for him to suddenly lose it.

That said, even as bad as Reed has been so far this season, I still would have had more faith in him than Suisham.

9. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

How many penalties negated additional yards that would've been added to Van Brocklin's total?

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

We placed $60 futures bets this past weekend on Saints, Giants, Colts to win the Super Bowl. The payouts range from $360 to $480.

Also got Spurs to go all the way for $20 at 18-to-1.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I would presume the money he was trying to command in a new contract didn't help his cause, either.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Probably not, but normally they would have just let him ride out the season and leave as a free agent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.