1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 11: In four weeks we can put TEBOW!!!! in the headline

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Nov 16, 2011.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Seemed like the Week 10 thread lost steam. So, looking ahead, we have Matt Leinart and Vince Young trying to show who's less of a hollowed-out shell of what he was on that glorious night in January 2006. And of course we have Jim Harbaugh's Mighty Men exerting their will over the Cardinals. Green Bay can't lose this week, so the most intriguing game in the top half of the standings is Cincinnati at schizo Baltimore.

Honestly, though, Sunday is going to be all anticlimax. I cannot even begin to explain how excited I am to sit down and watch Tebow versus Rex.

2. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Re: NFL Week 11: Alex Smith's Hall of Fame campaign begins

I have to give John Fox credit for somehow devising plans that work. But I can't fathom a Tebow-led team beating the Jets. Seems like there is no way around that defense.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Beginning???? We're already 6 years into a HOF career! Niners are giving people a reason to remember that George Seifert was not always some flunky on the Panther sideline but actually a pretty decent HC who won 2 Super Bowls.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

John Fox devised a winning offense featuring a 2 completion qb and a third-string running back. That's Coach of the Year stuff.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

One thing working in Fox's favor is that depending on the position of the moon, he may not have the most inaccurate and mistake-prone quarterback on the field that night.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Well, when he goes 0-for-0, then you're right.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Actually, he was a decent caretaker of the Niners after Bill Walsh left. He got exposed for such during his stint with the Panthers. A decent head coach? He lost 15 in a row. Thank you, Rod Marinelli.

Fox proved adept at finding a way to rarely get blown out and to occasionally pull wins out of near-hopeless situations. Some would argue that it wasn't exactly scintillating to watch, but Fox understands that the bottom line and being glamorous aren't one and the same.

Don't know if they win playing any other kind of ball last week. People can say what they wish about Tim Tebow, but it was legal and there was no grey area in terms of legality or ethics. It can be almost unwatchable, but when's the last time teams and their fans chose losses instead?

8. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Will NFL Network show the "Jesus Tebow" jerseys on TV? Or is that separation of church and state?

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Even John Fox admits Tebow isn't a great passer. The top quotes stick out, but it's a pretty good story about Fox saying "Screw you, it works, and here's why and why we did it," to the rest of the NFL:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d824253ac/article/smart-like-a-fox-broncos-coach-adapts-to-tebows-strengths?module=HP11_writer_experts

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My question about Tebow is how hard is he working to improve his passing? I always see him smiling in interviews talking about how as long as he wins, he's happy.

That's all well and good, but is he working to improve his mechanics to increase his accuracy, or he is he taking the approach that many outsiders seem to be saying, that he is what he is, but he finds a way to win?

This is a genuine question and not a knock on the guy. I'm curious to know if he's working to change his style at all.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I don't see how you can help but develop merely by playing in the NFL. Tebow is no Elway, nor is he even Craig Morton, but he will get better.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He is regressing as a passer in the NFL. To me, that is hard to believe.

Draft saved Draft deleted