1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 11: Greg Landry

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Nov 12, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

A team that was 2-14 last year improves to 10-6 or 11-5.

Rodgers or Peyton is the likely MVP right now, but if the Colts do reach that level he will get a lot of talk. The equivalent of being invited to the Heisman presentation, anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

People will throw it out, sure. But there are a handful of guys now who have a huge headstart on him in terms of the MVP race. And there could be another couple emerge as we move along. Right now, I see Manning, Rodgers, Peterson, and Ryan ahead of Luck. So yeah, it might be like getting an invite to the Heisman ceremony.

Again, getting the Colts to the playoffs will be impressive, no doubt. Going from 2-14 to 10-6 would be studly. But let's not go crazy here. Big difference between good story and serious MVP consideration.

For me, right now, it's between Peyton and AP.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Matt Ryan and Adrian Peterson will be in the discussion.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Depending on how much time he misses with the shoulder, Roethlisberger belongs well ahead of Luck in the conversation, too.

5. LongTimeListener

Well, yeah, I was counting out Big Ben because of the injury and extrapolating what Luck is going to look like at 10-6/11-5.

As of now I would go Rodgers, Peyton, Big Ben, AP, and I would put the fifth one between Ryan and Luck. Maybe I'm just getting too hung up on the total improvement of the Colts, I don't know. But if it continues down this road, that list can change some. And I think it will change especially with Big Ben hurt and (my prediction) the Falcons and Vikings slowing down.

Side note, what a bitch of a schedule Minnesota has: In their final six games they play Chicago twice, Green Bay twice and Houston.

EDIT: All right, on second review I am seriously understating Matt Ryan. To me he'll always be the deer in the headlights who threw that balloon to the sideline that Tramon Williams took back for a TD. :)

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Rodgers is the MVP, but Peyton likely will win it if the Broncos win 11 games.

The more interesting debate is for Comeback Player of the Year: Peyton or Peterson?

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

In my "way too early to do this, but what the hell?" MVP ballot...

1. Peterson
    2. Manning
    3. Rodgers (note: the top 3 are VERY close)
    4. Ryan
    5. Brady
    6. Big Ben
    7. Luck

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Understandable, but there is always the chance that Ryan takes a step forward, as Eli Manning did last season.

That's probably a good assumption on Roethlisberger. They are still doing tests, so the Steelers apparently don't know how long he will be out. Seems to be wishful thinking that he only misses the game against Baltimore this Sunday.

That said, my point was that Roethlisberger has been underrated a bit. Unfortunately, I think we're going to see a very clear demonstration of his value when they play without him against the Ravens.

9. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

If Brady (18 TD, 3 INT, 100.1 rating) has to keep putting up 33.2 points a game to win with that half-team, he will be one of the top contenders.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

You could almost say the same thing about Drew Brees. And, no, I'm not suggesting that Brees belongs in any MVP discussion -- yet. But if he carries the Saints to the playoffs after their 0-4 start, he probably should be.

11. Meatie Pie

Meatie Pie Member

I wouldn't argue against that, Albert. Brees is not too far off last year's pace, statistically. Already has 25 touchdown passes.

12. LongTimeListener

That's a pretty good list. Big Ben higher and I would go Rodgers #1 but that's probably it. Also as previously mentioned, it's going to be horribly tough sledding for Peterson the rest of the way. They are 6-4 now and could finish 8-8 without even playing too badly.

Also showing Luck really was the most NFL-ready QB prospect since Elway/Marino/Peyton/whoever, however far back we want to go.

Draft saved Draft deleted