1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 10 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RecoveringJournalist, Nov 5, 2014.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I like the weekly threads without the silly name of some has-been attached to them.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The head coach of my fantasy team agrees wholeheartedly.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Why couldn't they have suspended him for not showing up? He wanted to not play, but keep the money he had been paid to play this season. That's pretty simple.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Jay Cutler isn't the reason the Bears are mediocre.

Peyton Manning in his prime was better than Tom Brady in his.

The running game is overrated, passing is all that matters.

Going for two early, and thus knowing whether or not you will need more later, is a higher percentage play than waiting until the last minute.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Marcus Lattimore retires, two years after what amounted a career-ending injury while he was at South Carolina.

49rs.co/JaQwWQ

If someone wants to sue to get the NFL's three-years-out-of-high-school restriction lifted, he would be their test case. Guy dominated the SEC as a true freshman, and no one could honestly say he wasn't ready for the NFL then.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Certainly not the only one.

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

He might be the biggest reason, but he's not the only reason.
    True.
    False, just ask the Cowboys. Clock management is huge, especially when you need to give your defense a rest.
    I covered a well-known college coach who went for two a lot, usually when there was no reason whatsoever to do it. I think he did it just to amuse himself. I asked him about it after a game once I think the touchdown made it 26-3 late in the fourth and he went for two. He said, "I wanted two points there."

Uh... OK...

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If you're going to go for two early, you might as well just do it on every conversion. Which would actually be kind of a nice idea that I'd like to see.

I'm still waiting for the "never punt" strategy to hit the NFL or at least major college.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Belichick tried that a few years ago against the Colts, and people acted like he'd wiped his ass with the American flag.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I remember that. I was all for it -- it was at a time that giving the ball back to Manning meant certain death.

I'm talking about a systematic decision to never punt, though, based on those studies that show how important possessions are and the impact of voluntarily giving them up. A high school team tried the no-punt thing and did well. It would just be so great to see the team stay out there on fourth-and-six from your own 30.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'd advise doing that on the road due to fan reaction the first time it fails.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It could work 80% of the time and all people will remember is when it doesn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted