1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 10 Thread: The OG, OC Joe Walton edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

Gotcha. They took a bunch of seats out of the upper deck like 6-7 years ago, right? What other NFL stadium besides Jacksonville is doing that?

2. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

That was some ugly football.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

20 accepted penalties for a 180 yards

If someone blew a whistle and stopped you 30 times during the average fuck, you’d have ugly footballs too

The game sucks. So slow, no momentum. Refs want more camera time than LaVar Ball. Theyre not getting it right so much as showing that the players don’t have a lawyer’s grasp of the nuances of the rules.

OscarMadison likes this.
  4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

What, you mean there were a lot of penalties called in a Raiders game? I'm amazed, and George Atkinson is shocked!!

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The old Raider philosophy was that they couldn’t call a penalty on every play so you can get away with more than you get caught for. Roger Goodell says “Hold my White Claw”

6. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

...and yet they did. It was watching people make the same mistake over and over again while expecting a different result. By the second quarter it was obvious this was going to be a question of who lost less.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

All penalties aren't the same. An inability to get a play called and snapped in time, or those offisides calls is basic bad coaching, offensive holding is mostly bad luck that a ref got a view of something you try and hide, same with PI.
    The difference between the good teams and the bad teams are those that can focus in just a little bit more on third downs. Third down penalties are the worst.

8. don’t know.
    my argument against drafting Newton remains the same: he played one season in a run-oriented offense for a college coach and program with no history of producing a NFL-quality QB. It was a HUGE gamble with the odds against him.
    Ok, it worked out. .... kind of.... he won MVP and produced three winning season in 8 years.

I was wrong.

Congratulations.

But I don’t regret, or retract, my argument against taking him with a 1st round pick.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I felt the same way about Kyler Murray - not a no. 1 guy - but I also know that "value" is a dumb way to evaluate a QB - he either fits your system and makes the offense work or he doesn't - if you're sold on him, draft him and don't worry about being accused of a "reach."

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Evil. I remember the 2010 college season. Newton was obviously its superdominant player. He brought Auburn back from three touchdowns down against Alabama in Tuscaloosa. Can't do more than that.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

He won an MVP and rookie of the year award, got the Panthers to the Super Bowl and a couple of other playoff appearances, and only missed five games in seven seasons -- all during a span when the Saints and Falcons were both playing at a high level within their division. Even if it's over prematurely, that's a solid run. I don't know how you can say that wasn't worth a first-round pick, especially when he certainly would not have been there in the second round.

JC likes this.
  12. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

Gambling folks, how are the Browns minus 2.5 against the Bills on Sunday?

Draft saved Draft deleted