1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 10 Thread: The OG, OC Joe Walton edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Nov 5, 2019.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Audi Field is the new soccer stadium in DC - will seat 20k.

Do corporate naming rights really even matter any more? They change frequently enough that few stick. And I was surprised Mercedes-Benz put their name on the Superdome and the Atlanta Stadium - two teams in the same division?

The Chargers to London thing strikes me as scuttlebutt blown out of proportion. Though I wouldn't be surprised if the Chargers end up moving back to San Diego - the Aztecs will have a new 35k seat stadium online in a couple of years. Right now the Chargers are behind the Lakers, the Dodgers, the Rams, the Raiders, the Cowboys (and probably a few other NFL teams), the Clippers, USC football, the two soccer teams and the hockey teams in terms of importance in SoCal.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    misterbc likes this.
  2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Audi Field is the new DC soccer stadium. Fed Ex is a decrepit dump. How many are actually at a game at Fed Ex? 35k?

Look at where the Redskins franchise was from its glory days. Look where it is now. Look which way it is trending. And, regardless of what you, me or any other individual thinks, they have a nickname that borders on toxic.

The 25k soccer stadium is the refuge of the worst NFL franchises. It wouldn't surprise me.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Redskins are the only area franchise that doesn't actually resonate with D.C. They practice in Ashburn, which might as well be in West Virginia thanks to traffic. They play 10 miles east of town in Landover. The Caps, Nats, Wiz and United are all based in the city. The Caps' practice facility is in Virginia but like a mile across the Key Bridge from D.C.

D.C. folks have stopped fucking caring about the Redskins. RFK was a dump, but damn, it at least had character.

4. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

L.A. is named SoFi Stadium. I have no idea what a SoFi is.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

They refinance student loan debt.

But honestly, if a company is still taking on VC money - I figure $30m could fund a few more students for college each year. Always thought Farmers Insurance had a great deal "buying" the naming rights to the downtown stadium in LA so it was official the "Farmer's Field Project" and never had to pay a dime.

In May 2019, SoFi closed $500 million in a single funding round led by Qatar Investment Authority.[32] In September 2019, SoFi inked a 20 year deal with the Los Angeles Rams and the Los Angeles Chargers of the National Football League (NFL) for the naming rights to the team's new home, SoFi Stadium, in Inglewood, California.[33] The deal, which is worth $30 million annually is a record for any naming rights for a sports venue.[34]

6. Cam Newton's season is done.

DeSean Jackson also hits IR.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't think the stadium is the problem with that mess. And yes, RFK was a dump, but it offered a great atmosphere. If people in the area don't care about the Redskins anymore, that's a hell of a fall.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's crazy to think that the Redskins have not had an 11-win season since 1991. They've made the playoffs a few times, even won a couple of wild card games, but the only real glimmer of excitement they've had in the past 28 years was the RGIII season in 2012. That's an entire generation of fans that has had nothing of substance to cheer about.
    The Redskins and Dolphins are a lot alike. They've both sucked for most of this century and have resorted to peddling nostalgia to prop up the fan base. Unfortunately, those championships get a little further in the rearview and the celebrations a little sadder the longer they go without adding to it. A handful of other teams have had or are in similar lengthy droughts, but few cling to the past like those two.
    The difference, right now, is that at least the Dolphins seem to have realized it for a moment and started charting some course back to relevance. Maybe it won't work, but at least they're trying something. The Redskins have no plan for now or the future. They're 1-8 and acting like they can still make the playoffs.

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Is there a worse stadium experience than Fed Ex Field?

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I can't imagine there is. It's truly miserable.

heyabbott likes this.
  12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Is Cam Newton the poster child for the fact you can’t redefine the position of the QB if you want a long career? 8 seasons of highly productive football, although his teams only had winning records in his starts in 3 of his 8 seasons. Big and strong QBs who can run don’t last long and he lasted a long time for his skill set.

Draft saved Draft deleted