1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 1 Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That's an interesting read so far with a rather funny tidbit here ...

When word got out that Bayless was investigating “the rumor,” it was like a tornado siren played round-the-clock on local sports radio. It was common to hear then — as it’s common to read now — that Bayless was writing an “Aikman is gay” book.

2. Deitsch got it wrong. I don't know.
    Stating "Bayless said he's gay" is more accurate than it is false.

Many, most other sources got it right: Bayless printed unsubstantiated claims about Aikman's sexual preference.
    I know sj.com LOVES to split hairs, but it was Bayless' book. He wrote it. He printed those claims. He threw shit against the wall to see if it stuck, despite the fact there was no evidence. That is on him.
    The "Bayless printed unsubstantiated claims about Aikman's sexual preference," got shortened to "Bayless claims Aikman is gay."

This is different than the "How long have you been a black Quarterback," or "Was it dead mother, blind father or blind mother, dead father?" questions that were taken out of context.
    Bayless was totally unfair to Aikman. That stuff was not taken out of context. Bayless' book printed rumors that Aikman was gay.

OBTW, Switzer is a jackass.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

How does ONLY fit into the equation? Might need @doctorquant here.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Bayless is a turd of the first order, but those rumors were all over Dallas in the 1990s.
    And even the NFL, where talk was there was a star QB of the league who was gay.

5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Curtis' defense of Bayless is not altogether different from the rationalization that Trump is no anti-Semite, he is only passing along what people are saying about Hillary's connections.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Skip Bayless might be the biggest hack working in sports media today, and that's saying a lot considering the competition for that title.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

9. Big difference between rumors and a "sports authority" (I'm using that term loosely) publishing a book attempting to legitimize those claims bu ID'ing the player and printing the unsubstantiated rumors.

And that talk could have applied to Kordell Stewart. The same rumors were also spread about him throughout Pittsburgh and beyond.

(high-fiving self for successfully Steelers Threadjack)

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I think we found the one thing for which a Steelers threadjack is welcome. Tired of talking about Bayless.

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Speaking of the Steelers, is the team sticking by Jones as the backup? It takes a lot of shittiness to throw four picks in limited preseason action in one game.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I don't really look at it as Curtis defending Bayless. Curtis is a media columnist. He's no Bayless defender. He's in favor of smart journalism in every instance I can find. He mostly saying "Let's talk about what was actually said, not the shorthand" which I think is fair.

What Bayless did there is really shitty, and that's exactly what Trump does. "People are talking about how the Khans are part of the Muslim Brotherhood, I'm just asking the questions!"

I don't that extends to Curtis in any real sense.

Draft saved Draft deleted