1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 1 Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Sep 4, 2016.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

At least it was a man he hit this time. That's progress, I guess.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

But he stands up during the national anthem!

dixiehack likes this.
  3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Only to take a swing

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think Brock will be better than people here predict. Probably not great, but he's got a good QB coach on O'Brien who can help him understand adjustments. The suggestion he got "exposed" last year is odd. He was great in stretches, but didn't adjust all that well, and Kubiak didn't have the guts to stick with him through some of his own bad coaching. The Broncs made the right call in letting him go, especially if Lynch turns out to be good (and you get to pay him next to nothing for four/five years) but the Texans have had some success with some garbage quarterbacking, and if they can run the ball, Brock will do well.

Osweiler would have to be AMAZINGLY bad to rank among Nnamdi Asomugha, Percy Harvin and Albert Hanesworth for the worth contracts in NFL history. Hell, the Falcons gave Mike Vick $40 million over two terrible seasons (when the salary cap was way smaller), and then he went to federal prison. Hard to top that.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Rookie quarterback with sore ribs who didn't get a chance to play at all in the preseason starting in Week 1? How could this possibly end badly?

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Eagles gonna Eagle.

I feel a little bad for Wentz, who is a nice guy. They'd better run the damn ball and not get him killed, or Philly fans will turn on him and never go back.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

It's more than possible the NFC East winner will be 7-9. It nearly happened last year, except for Washington winning 4 straight.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Osweiler has the luxury of a whole bunch of weapons to play with. The Texans have a great WR in Hopkins and in the offseason they added two more playmakers in Will Fuller and Braxton Miller. And the running game was strengthened by signing Lamar Miller. If Osweiler doesn't succeed, it won't be for the franchise's lack of surrounding the guy with people who will make his job easier. Something with which I am somewhat familiar.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Vick, Asomugha and Haynesworth were established stars when they signed monster deals.
    Osweiler is a second-round pick who's thrown 300 passes in the league, playing behind an elite defense.
    I like the Texans and think they generally know what they're doing, but this was a reach after crappy QB play the last several seasons.

12. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

Ehhhhh No. Gilbert is horrible and an absolute headcase to boot. Drafting him with the 8th pick was dumb, trading him was not. Amazed they got anything really. I'd be borderline stunned if he was in the league this time next year.

Draft saved Draft deleted