1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 1 Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Sep 4, 2016.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That's funny. I think Jay Gruden is going to be coach of the year.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Remember. Cam Newton should be out of the league by now, too.

JC, Double Down and LongTimeListener like this.
  3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Brock Osweiler is a right-handed Scott Mitchell, probably even dumber for getting in an altercation over a box of pizza.
    He turns 30 quarters of so-so football into 36 million.
    Not even Rob Johnson could say that.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Overall, I agree with you regarding Osweiler. To be fair, Mitchell did have one outstanding season with the Lions, throwing for 4,338 yards and 32 touchdowns with only 12 interceptions in 1995. I doubt Osweiler will ever match that.

5. outofplace

You don't think trading for Justin Gilbert after his two years of failure with the Browns offers new hope in the secondary? :D

Actually, that would be a perfect example of the Browns being the Browns. Take a cornerback with the No. 8 overall pick, give up on him after only two seasons, then watch him emerge as a stud with their biggest rivals. I don't expect it, certainly not based on what I've seen of Gilbert over the last two seasons, but it would fit the Cleveland narrative.

I think it is worth a shot. I certainly don't trust the Browns' new regime to make good decisions.

Give the Pittsburgh front office credit. I was among those who thought they should take Andrew Billings despite the injury rumors that came out during the draft. Billings had knee surgery and won't play this season and Pittsburgh's third-round pick, Javon Hargrave, will start at nose tackle Week 1.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

7. Wow .... Ok.
    I won't rule that out. Gruden is behind the 8-ball because he works for Snyder. The division is such a dumpster fire. If any teams wins the division with a winning record it will be a miracle.
    I think Del Rio or Jags' coach will be coach of the year.

8. I agree, I think the Browns did the most Browns thing they could do. And it probably will work out the Steelers advantage, but even if Gilbert is the second coming Antwon Blake, I think the pass defense will fall short = again - against the Bengals, Ravens, Patriots, Jags, Panthers, Packers, Cardinals, etc ...
    The defense will be better, but not enough.

The Steelers last few moves - Boykin and Green - haven't really paid off.

9. outofplace

The Boykin thing was so odd. He seemed to play fairly well when they let him on the field. Green seemed like a good fit, though I do wonder if the medical staff blew it on that one when they passed him on his physical.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

oop, it was the same kind of progression. Second-year guy fills in decently for a legend and gets a big payday out of it.
    Johnson is probably the real outlier as he pretty much turned one game into a contract with another team.
    I predict the Osweiler contract will go down as one of the worst of all time.

11. outofplace

I agree that it was a similar progression with Mitchell and Osweiler. Actually, I think Osweiler was worse. I think he was exposed somewhat even late last season. I'm just saying I think Mitchell was better. I also think it is funny that people completely forget that he did have some success in Detroit. He just couldn't sustain it past the one big season.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted