1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 1 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Sep 8, 2015.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Al is still cutesy with the sly comments about the possible backdoor cover - he's done it that way for years, and I guess its his thing. But Collinsworth is so lame: "I won't even say anything"....oh, for Pete's sake.. He's the #1 color announcer in the #1 sport, and in 10 years, he's never said one remotely interesting thing. Name one. That was so lame.

ESPECIALLY since every other commercial last night was for Draft Kings and Fan Duel - GAMBLING websites. In fact, when Brown first caught the pass, and Michaels started to speak, I was thinking more about the fantasy aspect.

ESPECIALLY since ESPN now is giving 'cover alerts' for college games.

ESPN is now sending out Cover Alerts to update you on your impulsive sports gambling

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Raiders sign Aldon Smith to one-year deal, Jason Cole says.

He hasn't been suspended yet. Maybe they get a few games out of him. Or this is the Plunkett "rest up" year.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Gets to stay in the same place around the same people. This will turn out well.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Armchair QBing, did anyone else think that the Steelers play-calling was extremely conservative in the red zone? They march right down the field into the redzone then its give it to Williams up the gut. They also use very little motion. That doesn't allow them to move Antonio Brown, their best weapon, into space.

Pats played well and if Brady gets time, boy is he a killer. He could have had even more but he missed a couple of long ones by a hair. My boy even said "that Gronk is huge"; yeah he's an amazing combo of size and speed but why did the Steelers have not even a hint of an answer for him? On the biggest plays, he was either left open or against a LB and the DBs wanted nothing to do with him.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Keith Butler should be thankful the headsets malfunctioned. Otherwise, we'd be talking about his disastrous debut.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's easier to be a stud when no one covers you.

Not that Gronk isn't a stud, but the Steelers didn't do much to make his job harder. I mean, you'd think as a defense you'd make sure you were accounting for him on every play.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I can't think of a more perfect opener...

The Patriots were once again exposed as cheating bastards and the Steelers got crushed AND come off looking like a bunch of crybabies!!

That's tremendous, I couldn't have wrote a better script myself!

dixiehack likes this.
  8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

If you did, you could have used better grammar in doing so.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Wish I had bought it to get it to -6.5. Lousy garbage TD gave me a push.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Never complain about a push. Jesus. What's the matter with you?

LongTimeListener likes this.
  11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Meh. I was winning for 80 percent of the game. Feels like a loss.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You're a good gambler.

Draft saved Draft deleted