1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 1 thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Sep 8, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Bovada suspended the Packers-Bears line. Any new injuries or anything that I missed?

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

If it was Rodgers and 10 circus clowns, the Packers would still win by 10.

3. JackReacher

Well, that means nothing if I can't actually BET it.

Most books have it at 6.5 or 7.

4. Mr. Sunshine

If Rodgers was caught in a gay sex sting and couldn't get out of jail in time for kickoff, then I MIGHT think about taking the Bears.

5. JackReacher

Oh, believe me, I wasn't thinking about taking the Bears. Not for a second.

YankeeFan and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  6. JackReacher

This, from Deadspin's Jamboroo, amused me:

Steelers at Patriots: The collective public breakdownkakke that Pats fans displayed on Tuesday in the wake of that ESPN report was unlike anything I’ve ever seen before. They went to plaid, man. I mean, guys like Simmons were throwing out seven different defense mechanisms simultaneously. I tallied them all!
    1. “THIS IS NAWT NEWS!”
    2. “Other teams cheat!”
    3. “FACK YOU THE REST OF YOU AHHHH BUTTHURT!”
    4. “Explain how they won the Super Bowl then! HUH?!”
    5. “RAY RICE PUNCHED A WOMAN PPL FORGET THAT”
    6. “ESPN is in bed with the NFL!”
    7. “Anonymous sources are liars and pussies! SHOW US THE HAHHHHD EVIDENCE!”
    By the end of this season you’ll find these people on every street corner passing out DVD copies of Loose Change. They’ve been broken. It’s awesome.
    By the way, and I hate to sound like Gregg Doyel here, but stealing play sheets is really bad! I could give half a shit if you take air of the ball, but dressing a motherfucker up in a Kraft Productions costume and sending him to steal the first 20 plays really does sound like an uncommon level of shitbaggery. You’ll notice that Roger Goodell hasn’t said fuck all about THAT. Under normal circumstances, he’d commission a 9,000-page dossier on it. But no, now that he’s turned Ballghazi into a complete mess, he’ll just glide right over it. I am endlessly amused that Pats fans were all over every detail of the Rice scandal, but show them the ESPN report and they’re like THERE’S NOTHING HERE WE DON’T ALREADY FACKIN’ KNOW!

There Is Joy In The Work

Riptide likes this.
  7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed, and it isn't just Bell. Martavis Bryant is also suspended and Maurkice Pouncey's injury weakens the offensive line. I don't think the Steelers win in New England even with all their weapons. No way does it happen without them.

8. Offensive comparison: Brady and Gronk and the other spots where they clearly outclass Pittsburgh.
    The Patriots O-line was disaster for the early part of last year. The defensive may be worse than the Steelers. On paper.

I think the Pats still win, but I don't think it'll be blowout. FG at the end for the win.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

"It's my second-favorite city... What's first? All the rest are tied." Bobby Heenan

bigpern23 and Baron Scicluna like this.
  10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

So the play where the Patriots O-lineman was called for a personal foul ... he had the defender by the back of the neck nearly the entire play. That's not holding, too? The PF came for the swing after the whistle. How was he not holding?

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Steelers seem able to run the ball pretty well so far.

12. Mr. Sunshine

The hair on Antonio Brown, man.

justgladtobehere likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted