1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 1: Frankenstein's, er, Peyton's Return

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YGBFKM, Aug 30, 2012.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Kevin Kolb's descent into irrelevancy continues as Jon Skelton is named the Cardinals' starter.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

You obviously don't work on newspapers in the eastern time zone.

Joe, I got the same letter from Goddell.

I'll save my Peyton Manning prediction for next week.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

How the hell can anyone know what teams or games are going to be good?

There is so parity that every year we see teams that were thought to be good flounder and teams expected to be poor exceed expectations. I believe that's one reason the league is popular... that it doesn't always take five years to turn a franchise around. From a coach's standpoint that can be hell, but it keeps the fans interested. Heck, you can be 2-6 at midseason and believe you can make the playoffs.

Impossible to predict what November/December games will be good and what will be clunkers. Besides, ever notice how sometimes games between two also-rans can be the most entertaining games of a given week?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

LOL

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There are rivalry games that people always want to watch. Raiders-Broncos, Patriots-Jets, Packers-Bears that are going to draw interest no matter if both teams suck. Since the NFL Network doesn't exactly get first pick of games, I'm guessing they probably picked fifth or sixth among each week's games, I'd say they did pretty well.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

They like to put a lot of division matchups on the night games. That way if, say, FOX has to give up a Cowboys-Giants game, it at least gets the rematch. I was floored last season when the NFL let NBC take both Cowboys-Giants on Sunday night. I bet FOX was a bit pissed, too, and it won't happen again.

Used to be teams were limited to three prime time games per season, partly because playing Thursday or Monday can be a major inconvenience to lots of people. Not sure if that rule is still in place with so many night spots to fill now.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

My favorite:

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That is rare that both Cowboys-Giants games would be Sunday nighters. Given the networks love for all things NFC East, I guess we shouldn't be surprised... :D

9. PCLoadLetter

The Cardinals are going to be spectacularly awful.

I keep reading that they had to go with Skelton because he's a gritty gamer, he's fearless, his teammates like him, and Kolb has lost confidence. All of that is fine... but Skelton is a terrible quarterback. He can't throw a pass to save his life.

Kolb has lost his confidence and makes some bonehead decisions, but has flashes of competence. Skelton does not.

10. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Skelton was 6-2 as Arizona's starter.
    The team responded to him, and his starting nod is a no-brainer.
    As for Kolb - the guy can't play.
    You can't fix a dude who's afraid of the blitz.
    You just can't.
    They've seen all out of him that they need to see.

11. PCLoadLetter

Did you see Skelton play during that 6-2 run? When your defense makes enough plays to save your ass, you really can't take much credit.

I'm not saying Kolb is good. He's not. Kolb has limited upside. Skelton is just flat-out bad.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

My guess is that Kolb will start his share of games this year. And I would assume they'd be awful, but they play in a division that helped them to what, 7, 8 wins last year? They probably can't screw things up enough to get the top pick and have a chance at Barkley. And I'm guessing they'd be hesitant to make another free-agent signing at the position. Looks like the Cardinals are in the midst of sucking for another 60-plus years.

Draft saved Draft deleted