1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 1: Eagles defend their SB championship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Sep 4, 2018.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The no-call on the peel-back block or the missed call on the punt that bounced off Chubb's head were both worse than the call on Gordon. Hell, I thought the hold on Hargrave that sparked the Browns' first scoring drive was shit, too. That is as much a call made incorrectly as the one on Gordon and it was a huge play. Instead of third and more than 10 inside their own five, the Browns got a first down.

The peel-back block was an inexcusable miss. It was right in front of Taylor, who had the ball, and there was nobody near the blocker and defender to obscure the view. The only difference between that one and the one that got JuJu Smith-Schuster suspended last year is that the Browns' tackle didn't stand over the guy he blocked.

The Garrett call, at worst, was the officials still needing to wrap their heads around a new rule. He did land on Roethlisberger with his full body. The only reason the league made a statement is because it is trying to ensure that the fans understand what the new rule is supposed to be and how it should be enforced. That kind of thing is going to happen, especially with a shitty rule like that one.

My real issue is the officials had too much of an impact on that game. They made shitty calls both ways, though the ugly ones did go Cleveland's way in the fourth quarter.

2. outofplace

Plantar fasciitis can be extremely painful. I think the reason it gets underplayed is because it rarely requires surgery. That is also part of the problem. Surgery is only an option in extreme cases. More often, it is treated with rest, ice and stretching and that takes time. I've learned way too much about this over the last two years. The short version is that structural problems in the foot really, really suck.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Not whining at all.

4. outofplace

Actually, I'm responding to Junkie's question, but your obsession with me knows no bounds.

I hope acting like this here at least helps you deal with other aspects of your life.

JC likes this.
  5. We just tied the FUCKING CLEVELAND FUCKING BROWNS!!!
    FUCKING FUCK!!!

We are entitled to whine. A little.

It was the Browns. And a tie.

JC likes this.
  6. Junkie

Junkie Well-Known Member

Had PF in both feet at the same time 5-6 years ago. It was awful. Cortisone shots in both feet helped, but it took weeks to heel and some days I can still feel it.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

PCLoadLetter and Neutral Corner like this.
  8. outofplace

Ouch. Both feet at the same time is particularly brutal. I've been there, though not with that specific issue. My feet ache a little extra in sympathy.

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I hate the pass interference rule. Hate it.

Other than holding and hitting a defenseless receiver, I think DBs should be allowed to bump, move and make contact when defending a pass. Throw it to open receivers rather than hoping for a flag.

Too many great athletic plays are taken away from defenders because it looks like their hand is on the receiver’s waist for a second.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Not an Odell Beckham fan, but he gets huge yards on PI calls.

The Rams kept in the game early by 2 huge PI calls in the first half.

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

A totally unfair penalty for the crime most times.

Hate the rule.

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

It's almost as if everybody forgot the Steelers missed an easy kick to win the game just because the Browns screwed up the last three plays so badly.

Draft saved Draft deleted