1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL vs college football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jayben, Oct 5, 2009.

?

who plays with more heart?

1. NFL

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  2. College football

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  3. Cheerleaders

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That one's a little dicey.

You could be down 4 points in the final minute, in the red zone, going for the winning score, and a ball gets picked off or fumbled and returned for a touchdown.

You lose by 11. But game was really a toss-up.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Maybe two touchdowns. But not 35-7 or 62-28.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The PAT in the Florida-Ole Miss game wasn't missed. It was blocked when an Ole Miss defender hurdled the center and made a hell of a play.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

In college football, they play with more heart.
    In the NFL, they play for a real championship.
    I'll take the NFL in that argument.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

In 2008 the best team was not obviously Florida and I'd say looking at the results of the NFL draft as well as what we saw on the field it was USC. And USC and Texas both had as much of a claim to the national title as Florida did.

The system is asinine and it is why Division I-A college football is on so many levels a joke.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If NFL talent determined the best team, Eric Crouch and Nebraska were 0-12.

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Exactly. You can make arugments for why/why not Florida shouldn't have been in the championship and USC and Texas should have been, but NFL draft picks? That's just silly.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The system is asinine only if you believe a "national championship" is the be-all and end-all of playing the season.

But in college football, that's never been the case. How can it be, when you have 120+ teams each playing only 12 games against completely different levels of competition? When 105 of those teams basically have zero chance when the season starts of attaining this holy grail? And when 90 of them NEVER will entertain a realistic thought in any season of winning it? Why are they bothering? What keeps their fans interested? Are we really only playing a college football season for the glorification of 1 of the 30 teams who ever have a chance at hoisting that crystal ball?

Odd as it sounds, when I was growing up nobody was talking about winning a national championship. It was Beat Bama (or Buck Fama, as some T-shirts read). It was winning the SEC. Maybe going to the Sugar Bowl and spending New Year's in New Orleans. It was the other rivalries and the rare exotic trips to places like South Bend or the LA Coliseum.

Can't really explain it other than to say, college football is just different. And for all those who scream, "But they have a playoff in FCS (I-AA)!!", I say so what? Two of its conferences do not even participate in the playoffs. That's how important they are. The title game is held in Chattanooga, in a stadium that barely seats 20,000. That's how important it is.

For those who must have a champion and embrace the NCAA basketball tournament with relish, that's all well and good. And we have some pretty flawed champions there, too (N.C. State, Villanova). "But they won it on the court!!!" you say. Yes, they did. And in football, they would not have even made the playoffs with their regular-season showing. So which system is bogus? The basketball one for allowing them in, or the "proposed" football one that wouldn't have let them in?

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

One of the dumbest things I've read lately. Granted, I haven't read a lot, but still....

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Best spam thread ever?

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'd say that if you are telling me that it isn't relevant that there was a team that loaded with NFL-caliber talent -- and apparently high level NFL talent -- I'd say you don't know a thing about football. That of course would be redundant because, well, you don't a thing about just about every subject you try to pass yourself off as an expert.

Yes, there are intangibles and everything else and heart and all that stuff -- I think USC displayed all of that, they also throttled some very good football teams and did so mostly because they had better players than every team they faced.

Talent DOES matter to the discussion of who is the best team. I never said it was the be-all, end-all, but it is a factor, and a major factor, when you start taking a look at who is the best team.

I mean, seriously, if character, integrity, grit, hard work -- all the other buzz words to say slow and not talented -- were really high on the scale Navy and Army would play for the national championship every year.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Florida grad? Because I can't imagine why anyone else would argue that a team that has lost by more than 10 points, lost after Nov. 1 or lost at home would have any business playing for the national fucking title.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted