1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL vs college football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jayben, Oct 5, 2009.

?

who plays with more heart?

1. NFL

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  2. College football

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  3. Cheerleaders

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed, LSU is one of my favorite college teams (long story).

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The difference in the NFL is execution. Somebody brought it up earlier. When you are watching the NFL, you are watching the best in the world at what they do. That isn't the case with the college game.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That Texas-Tech game was in Lubbock.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The thing I used to love about college football was the sense that if you lost one game, your season was done from a national championship standpoint. There were some exceptions, almost always a team that lost in September, and then ran the table.

I think it changed for the worse in 1996. Florida loses to Florida State late in the season and then gets a rematch in the national title game? Give me a fucking break.

Since then there have been several instances of teams losing in a conference championship game and getting to play for the title. Some of the times those teams have lost by four touchdowns and still gotten to play for the title.

Last year, Florida lost a home game to an unranked Ole Miss team, a team they were favored by 22 points to beat, and still were allowed to play for the national title. That's just wrong.

LSU winning a title with two losses soiled the BCS title as well. LSU had an October and a late November loss and still was allowed to play for the national title. That's just fucking ridiculous.

5. Mizzougrad96

I stand corrected... One more reason Texas should have been in the title game... against Utah.

6. Mizzougrad96

The college game can be more exciting, in part because kickers miss extra points (ask Florida last year) and regularly make stupid mistakes that you rarely see in the NFL.

That doesn't matter though. You can say that about NBA and college hoops as well, and I'd rather watch the NCAA Tournament over the NBA playoffs 100 times out of 100.

If college football implemented an 8 or 16-team playoff system, it would dwarf the Super Bowl.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't go so far as to say it would dwarf the Super Bowl, college football is still a regional sport at its heart while the NFL is a nationwide beast, especially in many of the biggest cities.

But looking at what the NCAA Tournament is, and what college football could be, it's just baffling.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I think your "several" and "some" should say "one"

Oklahoma in 2003.

Do not know of anyone else who lost a conference title game and then got to play for the national title.

There was Nebraska losing 62-36 to Colorado, not even winning its division and getting a chance to play for the title back in 2001. But that doesn't fully meet your criteria.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

And they lost to Miami, so it didn't really matter.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, it matters because somebody else (say, Oregon) didn't get a chance to lose to Miami.

11. Mizzougrad96

Right, I'd forgotten that Nebraska didn't even make it to the conference title game that year.

I know one loss doesn't eliminate anyone from title consideration anymore, but here are a few things that should:

A loss by more than 10 points to anyone.
    A loss at home.
    A loss after November 1.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I prefer CFB because Rush Limbaugh can't buy a team...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/06/rush-limbaugh-in-bid-for_n_310850.html

Draft saved Draft deleted