1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL vs college football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jayben, Oct 5, 2009.

?

who plays with more heart?

1. NFL

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  2. College football

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  3. Cheerleaders

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As far as I can tell, the only two seasons since 2000 where there hasn't been significant controversy surrounding who made the BCS title game was when Ohio State played Miami and when Texas played USC.

The system blows.

2. Mizzougrad96

You lose at home you shouldn't play for the title.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, they really didn't. Most of them did not have undisputed claims. You want to deserve your championship? Earn it.

And the LSU beating Ohio State in 2007 is not like the Giants beating the Patriots because the Giants had to earn their shot. LSU had their opportunity handed to them. I don't care how many overtimes they lost in. They still lost twice.

Here I thought you wanted to have a rational debate. If you aren't even going to admit that there were any teams with legitimate claims to the title left out of the championship game in the last 10 years, that obviously isn't the case. My mistake.

4. outofplace

Florida is not deserving because they did not have to face the most deserving opponent. Texas beat Oklahoma head-to-head, but Oklahoma got the title shot.

5. Mizzougrad96

It's not that the team that wins is undeserving, it's who is playing in the game in the first place.

Almost every year there is significant controversy over who gets there.

I think you could make the argument that Texas and Utah should have played for the title last year. Utah was undefeated and should have been there.

Who plays them? Texas beat Oklahoma head-to-head, so OU should have been out.

Then, who among Texas or Florida was more deserving. Both had home losses, but Texas' loss was to a very good Tech team, while Florida's was to an unranked Ole Miss team. It's close, but I give the edge to Texas

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

So who deserved it?

I'm not going to get anything done today.

And Mizzou, as much as I wanted Utah, they weren't going to beat Florida.

7. Mizzougrad96

After what Utah did to Bama in the Sugar Bowl who is to say the Utes weren't deserving?

8. Mizzougrad96

Florida was probably the best team, but how do we know that for certain? I think most of us probably thought Bama was going to beat Utah by 21 and Utah won by 14.

The only time the BCS works is when two and only two teams run the table. I think I read somewhere that's only happened in eight of the last 50 years.

9. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

I think you have to separate the excitement of college football from the BCS debate. The games themselves, with the bands, the fans, the divergent styles of play, etc., is still far more exciting to watch than the professional game. I went to my alma mater's homecoming game on Saturday night (Division III) ... attendance was nearly 6,500 and I had a great time. Was the level of play far below the pros and major college? Of course. I understand that walking into the stadium. That doesn't mean I can't enjoy the game on its own merits. This weekend I'm going to a stadium that seats more than 100,000 and you know what? I'm going to enjoy that too. Don't like the BCS? Fine, but don't condemn the entire sport for what the power brokers have wrought. Nothing's going to change until you show them the money (and I'm a little short this month). So enjoy the game for what it is.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

As much as I dislike Southern Cal, the plain truth is LSU got a gift in 2003 after they got paired with a very undeserving Oklahoma team in the NCG instead of the Trojans -- who would have mopped the Superdome floor with the Tigahs.

11. outofplace

Exactly my point. There is doubt. Utah has a legitimate claim. So does Texas. You can make a good argument that Florida was spared having to face the legitimate top contender not because Oklahoma knocked that team off, but because the system kept that team out of the championship picture.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Playing "with heart" is relitive. I think a better question is which game is more enjoyable to watch.

Me I'll take college football any day of week over the NFL. With College you get a complete diversity of styles, whereas everyone in the NFL pretty much does the same thing. NFL is far too predictable week in and week out. NFL Head Coaches want to control way to much to minimize risk. I am convinced that most NFL coaches would be satisfied to win 7-6 by controlling the clock via dive plays and occasions draws and playing gap D.

Nick Saban has brought same approach to Alabama which makes them a very boring team to watch.

Draft saved Draft deleted