1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL vs college football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jayben, Oct 5, 2009.

?

who plays with more heart?

1. NFL

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  2. College football

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  3. Cheerleaders

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Did I miss the mention of the Script Ohio?

2. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

I wonder how much geography plays into this. I've long thought my affinity for college football might lie in the fact that Norman's 40 minutes south of here and Dallas is three hours.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Which team of the last 10 years did not deserve to be National Champions?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Which NFL champion EVER didn't win it on the field? I can't remember the last time there wasn't one team with at least a somewhat legitimate argument that got left out of the college football championship game.

Real champions are decided on the field, not by voters and guys playing with their computers.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

You didn't answer my question, which team has won a National Championship in the last 10 years that didn't deserve it?

6. outofplace

Name me a year that there wasn't a team with a legitimate claim left out of the championship game. That would be the last National Champion that deserved it.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Until 7-10 years ago, I would have said it's college football and it's not close.

Right now, I would say the NFL is more exciting.

The bowl season used to be one of the best times of the year. Now, with the BCS, it just sucks. Almost every year there is significant debate as to whether the right teams made the game. We've had a team that lost a home game go on to win a national title. We've had a team that lost twice in the regular season win a national title. We've had teams that lost by four touchdowns in December play for a national title.

College football has gone downhill fast.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Out of place, unless I'm forgetting one, I think that would have been the year where Ohio State beat Miami. I think every year since there has been significant controversy over who made the title game.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm sick of the polls driving everything in college. If a top-25 team isn't in a game, it's scrap-heap stuff that I won't see highlights for at halftime of another game. If I'm watching the ticker on espn, I'll see the top 25 scores three times before seeing what happened in some other games I cared about.

Granted, is the top-25 usually right, overall? Sure. Does the BCS title game usually get it right? Perhaps. But it's still just a steaming pile of crap. I can love college football for the tailgating, the traditions, OSU-Michigan, etc., but our culture is also obsessed with Who's No. 1 and college football is the worst sport I follow at figuring that out.

10. outofplace

But just for fun.

2008: Texas beats Oklahoma in the regular season. Both teams have one loss. Oklahoma gets to play for the championship. Also, Utah is the only undefeated team in the country. Both teams have reason to dispute Florida's title.

2007: LSU wins the championship despite two losses and a bunch of teams that had a claim and were left out of the title game.

2006: Florida and Michigan both have a legitimate claim to a spot in the national championship game. Michigan's one loss was by three points to undefeated, top-ranked Ohio State.

2004: Undefeated Auburn left out of the championship game

I can keep going if you like, mustang.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

And since I know you won't answer it, I will answer my own question:

2005 Texas (13-0)
    2004 Southern California (13-0)
    2002 Ohio State (14-0)
    2001 Miami (12-0)
    2000 Oklahoma (13-0)
    1999 Florida State (12-0)

All of those teams obviously deserved it, so we are left with 2003, 2006, 2007 and 2008.

Well let's start from the most recent and work our way back.

2008- Florida goes 13-1 and wins the title in the toughest league in college football. They essentially go 2-0 in a 2-game playoff with a first win against Alabama in the SEC Championship. Off the top of my head, I think 'Bama was top-5 at that point, no? Then they defeat Oklahoma, the champion of the Big 12, arguably the next best/deepest conference. They throttled FSU by 30 points, dropped 52 on LSU, and beat Georgia a team who played on New Year's Day by 39. I think we can stop here, Florida clearly was the best team.

2007 - LSU wins the toughest conference in the NCAA, gets to the National Title game and beats Ohio State, THE NO.1 team in the nation. This is sort of similar to how the Giants beat the Patriots. See the Patriots were the best team in the U.S. and they got beat, so the new best team became the Giants. Anyway, LSU went 7-1 against ranked teams. Their only losses came in two triple overtime games. They also beat the No. 15 team in the conference championship to make the title game. Please show me another deserving team.

2006 - Florida embarrasses undefeated Ohio State and finishes 13-1. They win the hardest league in the NCAA and also win the conference championship game (another essential playoff). They clearly deserved to be National Champions here as well.

2003 - LSU again goes 13-1 by beating Georgia in the SEC championship and then Oklahoma in the national championship. I don't see how they are not deserving. They won just as many games as everyone else and won when it mattered.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

2008 - How is Florida not deserving? Yeah controversy blah blah blah. Every year there is controversy.

All the last 10 champions deserved to be champions.

Draft saved Draft deleted