1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL vs college football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jayben, Oct 5, 2009.

?

who plays with more heart?

1. NFL

13 vote(s)
    36.1%
  2. College football

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  3. Cheerleaders

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. jayben

jayben New Member

the NFL is intense...it brings hard hitting, trash talking, superstar athletes that are the best in the business. it brings fans from all over the nation to rise and shout for their team. and let's not forget about the cheerleaders...go Cowgirls!

but in my personal opinion i would watch any college football game over the best NFL game. they just play with more heart. for them it's not a question of whether they'll be paid $2 million dollars more the next year or if they are getting enough passes passed to them...for them it's a love of the game. it's about winning the big game and succeeding as a team. i love the passion they have for the game and the heart they bring to it. i don't know about you but i could sit and watch these games on internet tv all day.

but what about you....do you like NFL/or college football better?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

i love pro football, but it's not the same anymore without the los angeles rams. they were my team thru thick and thin.

usc is my college team and an entire weekend was ruined if the trojans lost. i've always held the college game a little higher than the nfl.

can't pinpoint why, other than maybe the diversity of the schools.

3. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I think the "college players play harder than pros" argument is bogus in every sport. That being said, I enjoy college football more than the NFL.

Reasons why I like college football more than the NFL:

1.) The traditions/pageantry surrounding the games. The fans, in general, seem much more passionate with regards to their team. Any football fan can name several college specific cheers, fight songs, and pre-game festivities. I can't really think of anything similar in the NFL.

2.) I have access to at least 15 televised games a week with college football. With ESPN 360, the number is even higher. With the NFL, I'll get about 5 or 6.

3.) Many people have a more personal interest in seeing their college team do well than they do an NFL team. If you've gone to school at a place where football is emphasized, you'll always root for that team regardless of their success or failure.

4.) The rivalries seem much more intense. With the exception of the NFC east, I can't name many more NFL rivalries outside of Denver/Oakland and Oakland/KC.

5.) It's really cheap to go to most college football games.

6.) The offenses are often much more entertaining/innovative than in the NFL. On the flip side, I guess part of this is that the NFL defenses are much better than those in college football. The offenses are also much more diverse in style than in college.

7.) You don't have nearly as many people that are rooting for their favorite players. People root for their favorite team regardless of the players and don't worry about trading a guy or losing him to free agency.
    I could go on and on, but these are the ones that I can think of right off of the top of my head.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

1. I think the original post was a carefully done bit of SPAM! since a link was provided for viewing said games.

2. The "college players play for the love of the game while NFL players play for money" angle is utter bullshit. If you sell that logic, then why aren't you pimping high school football above NCAA football? After all, those kids are playing for the love of the game and school and not for a scholarship and free room and board (and whatever the boosters slip them in cash). They've got more heart than NCAA players! And more heart than the NFL!

3. Cheap to go to an NCAA football game? Maybe at Cowshitistan State, but not if you want to attend a BCS game and sit in the lower bowl.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Anybody who thinks they can tell how much heart any of these guys is playing with just by watching the game is deluding himself.

ucacm, you don't think fans follow NFL teams for life? Seriously? Spend some time in Pittsburgh. Or Green Bay. I could keep going for a while with NFL teams with fanbases that are every bit as passionate as any college team.

And NFL fans are more likely to form attachments to individual players simply because they have them around longer, but most fans still root for the team more than the player.

Rod Woodson was a favorite player of mine during his years with the Steelers. When he played against them later in his career, I was rooting against him. I still liked the guy, but I wanted him to fail and I doubt any Steelers fan felt any differently.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

"Gee, Wally. How is State U. gonna do this year?"

"I dunno, Beav. Me and Eddie and Lumpy know a few of their guys, and they're pretty cool. Really love the game."

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Don't know if I totally buy that argument. If it were true, no one would ever leave early or the NFL.

And ucacm, some of your points are off the mark too. I stopped going to games at my alma mater (a major D-I powerhouse) because of the cost. Tickets are almost $50 apiece now, with about $15 of that a "donation" to the school's athletic foundation. Of course, the donation is built into the price of the ticket.
    It's also nice that most college games are televised now, but it's a pain in the ass on some levels. Try covering a football game on Friday night, putting out the paper, getting home around 1 or 2 a.m., and then waking up at 6 because your school was thrown into the 11 a.m. matchup and you have to drive a couple hours to cover it or see it if you're going to the game.
    Naturally, all this is decided six days ahead of time.

I enjoy the pageantry of college football, the atmosphere, the rivalries, the trash-talking. Down here in SEC country you can strike up hourlong coversations with total strangers based solely on whether they're wearing their team's colors. A lot of the practical aspects of seeing the games themselves, though, are starting to suck.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Excellent call by Inky.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Man, best spammer ever.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Questions like this are why I only watch the NFL Draft.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The ultimate rebuttal to the "College players have no heart and just play for the love of the game" meme ...

[​IMG]

[/Peter King]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Reasons why college football is better.

1. Rivalries. What can touch ND/USC, U-M/OSU, ARMY/NAVY, FLORIDA/FLORIDA STATE, BAMA/UT, USC/UCLA, TEXAS/OU and others.
    2. Uniforms: Texas, Penn State, Michigan, Nebraska... ENOUGH SAID.
    3. Comebacks... one foot in bounds and clock stops on a first down.
    4. Unique matchups, so many possibilities, so many teams.
    5. Underdogs: Utah, Boise, TCU, BYU --- you have to love it.
    6. Bands. Nothing like thriller at halftime and the drum lines. The Power T.
    7. Cheers, in-game traditions: jumping around at Camp Randall, War Eagle, Go Gators.
    8. Fight Songs: Hail to the Victors, Rocky Top.
    9. The option and the great QBs that ran it. Crouch, Pat White and others.
    10. Hail Mary's that work: Kordell Stewart, Iowa over Florida in the Outback.
    11. Bowl game traditions: Pac 10 vs. Big Ten.
    12. New Year's Day Madness: Outback, Citrus, Gator and Cotton all on at once.
    13. The Parade of Roses.
    14. Games on ABC, NOT FOX.
    15. Three yards and a cloud of dust.
    16. Shootouts: USC against Fresno, Marshall against ECU.
    17. Joe Paterno vs. Bobby Bowden.
    18. Wide right, wide left.
    19. Crazy Endings in the Alamo Bowl.
    20. Bands on the field.
    21. The Big Ten being overrated all season but still winning a few bowl games.
    22. Mascots: Smokey! Goldie, Sparty, Bevo.
    23. Burnt Orange, Maize, Scarlett, Crimson, Cardinal.
    24. Dynasties... real dynasties.
    25. Student sections.
    26. Roadtrips to away games.
    27. A higher sense of pride in your team.
    28. More traditions: Go Blue Banner, Howard's Rock, Hang on Sloopy.
    29. Lee Corso and College Gameday.
    30. Watching crazy endings : Texas Tech/Texas at college bars and the place going crazy.
    31. Colorado upsetting Nebraska - a fond memory of mine.
    32. Five downs, kicked passes, and controversy of the BCS.
    33. Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl and Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl.
    34. High Performance challenges.... one of my favorites.
    35. The Hiesman
    36. Electric punt returns.
    37. Onside kicks that ruin seasons and screw up standings.
    38. Undefeated seasons.
    39. New Year's Eve Bowl games -- the Peach Bowl.
    40. The MAC/Mountain West/CUSA stealing victories.
    41. Late season rivalries --- UGA, GTech.
    42. Rushing the field.
    43. Cinderella stories... like Rutgers a few years back.
    44. Better coaches: Carrol, Paterno, Stoops.
    45. Hating Charlie Weiss and Urban Meyer.
    46. Gator Chomp, Seminole War Chop.
    47. Hurricanes and Seminoles being arrested.
    48. Woody vs. Bo.
    49. Kieth Jackson.... whoa nelly.
    50. Brent Mussberger, Kirk Herbstreet.
    51. Saturday night games on ABC.
    52. Crazy Big East games on Thursday nights.
    53. Games outdoors in the cold, snow, rain and sleet and the stands being packed.
    54. The spread, the pistol, the wishbone, the flexbone.
    55. Two point conversions.
    56. A great overtime system.
    57. Helmet stickers ... Buckeyes and Bulldogs.
    58. Statue of Liberty to win it.
    59. Pink locker rooms.
    60. Stadium walks.
    61. Kickoff classics
    62. Rooting against the top-5 teams in the last week so your team can make a BCS gae.
    63. The BCS when it only had four games.
    64. Rooting against your team's hated rival.
    65. 3-3-5 stacks.
    66. Cheaper tickets/food/parking.
    67. Better food.
    68. Better/bigger stadiums.
    69. Being on campus.
    70. Florida football on in the 90s.
    71. USC in the 2000s.
    72. Miami in the late 80s.
    73. Crappy QBs that win the Heisman.
    that's all I got for now...

Draft saved Draft deleted