1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL turns Media Day into 'Super Bowl Opening Night' prime-time event

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 1, 2015.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with it as long as they increase media availability to team beat writers and selected nationals during the week. Let the clown car do their thing for the late night shows and Extra etc. Nothing wrong with allowing regular fans to feel like they are a part of the Super Bowl in some way (I do hope the ticket fee is a nominal charge and goes to a local charity, but perhaps I'm overly optimistic.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, did Goodell say he wanted an 8:45 p.m. Super Bowl kickoff? Maybe he did and I wasn't paying attention (quite likely), but the only one I saw here saying that would happen is Gee. Feel free to blame Goodell for a lot of things, but I'm not sure that idea is his -- or that it's going to happen.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I wonder how pissed the clown car part of this will be, too. Shows like Extra and the late nights could do their thing early in the day and get it on the air for their early evening shows. Now, they'll have to wait for the next day.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Whether on this issue or a hundred others, I stand by that statement.
    I haven't seen anything about Goodell wanting to move it. But, at this point, I wouldn't put it past him either.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

NFL Network's previous coverage of Media Day has suffered from a single, deadly flaw. You can hear the answers, but not the questions. So you can't get the humor, or make sense of answers to serious questions. If they don't fix that, ratings will drop in that last two hours.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Media Day's single, deadly flaw is that it exists.

Gee, you've been around long enough to remember when it used to be Picture Day, before Downtown Julie Brown decided it needed to be a show.

How anyone finds the current incarnation of "Media Day" to be entertaining, I'll never know.

schiezainc likes this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Another flaw is that now they're holding it in buildings other than the stadium and players aren't in game unis, which takes about 1000 percent of its visual appeal away.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's why I doubt such a move would happen. The networks will push back HARD against any move to late night. Or against a move to Monday night, which I heard kicked around in the weeks leading up to last year's Super Bowl amid worries about a blizzard.

Late-night worked out well for the World Series, didn't it?

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That isn't happening.

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, but the basketball game is over in about two hours.

11. And its on a Monday night ... FWTW ..

12. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I'd agree with this. Probably the kid in me, but the only reason why I'd ever really make it a point to tune in was to get an early look at the stadium and the field. Always love how the field looks.

Draft saved Draft deleted