1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Training Camp Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Jul 22, 2013.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

While you are probably right on the first half, it was the second half of your statement I was focused on. But, it would be fun to see them try. It's unbelievable that the NFL would work against an attempt to speed up the game, and institute a potentially exciting offense.

Tino Martinez would grab somebody by the neck for refusing this.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Judging by your response, you understood exactly what was meant (even if it wasn't exactly what I wrote).

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I think they did this in the late '80s when the Bengals went no-huddle. I'm pretty sure they actually changed rules in the middle of the season so teams would be able to adjust.

Kelly's fast-break was very enjoyable to watch in college -- the network would often put a stopwatch on the time it took between the end of one play and the start of another, and it was usually within 15 seconds. I too don't understand why he shouldn't be allowed to mine that advantage if his team can pull it off.

The shit about officials setting time is like an MLB umpire deciding what's "my strike zone."

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Right. It's arrogance. No one is there to watch the umpires/refs. They're there to accommodate play.

This would be fun to watch, whether it works, and even if it fails.

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

New England averaged 74 plays per game last year. Detroit had 72. Indy had 70.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Refs need a certain amount of time to spot a ball and make sure it is correct. The chains also need to be correctly placed. That does take time. Sure they are doing it as quickly and accurately as possible, but you cannot scream at them to hurry up because you need to get a play off.

Running three step drops and outs and screens does not wear out an offense as much as it wears out a defense. It also does not allow the defense to substitute. If Kelly can have the roster to run this type of offense, more power to him. I don't think what he is trying to do is that dumb at all. Hell, the Bills did it for years with pretty good success.

So both sides are correct in trying to do what they think is best.

7. LongTimeListener

So college refs are that much better than the NFL ones? Because Oregon could snap the ball hella fast.

They should just kill the refs who can't keep up.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It'll fail, alright. What Kelly doesn't seem to comprehend is that the regular season is 16 games long instead of 13-14, and he only has 45/46 players available each game, instead of 85.

And at some point, the defense will just hammer the shit out of the receivers every time a ball comes near them. That'll wear them out quick.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Now that is a good question if the college guys are better at getting the play off - correctly.

10. LongTimeListener

They're going to take 15-yard penalties just because the ball comes near a receiver? And don't receivers get the shit hammered out of them on a weekly basis anyway?

I don't think the offense will work. But I don't think it should be stopped on procedural grounds either.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

You do not choose to take the exhibition games, you choose to take an all or nothing package. The concept of the season ticket is that you DO NOT chose any game, you get them all. If you want season tickets, you MUST buy the preseason tickets as well. You also must buy Browns tickets if they are on the schedule, if you want a season pass.

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

The biggest atrocity

Draft saved Draft deleted