1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Training Camp Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Jul 22, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

People are required to buy season tickets? Maybe it's a law in Pittsburgh and Green Bay, but for the most part I think it's just an optional purchase that people are free to accept or decline.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is just dumb:

3. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Try reading my post slowly next time. Did I say anyone was required to buy season tickets?

4. LongTimeListener

You said teams were able to "force them" on season ticket holders. Teams aren't. The most they can do is present the option to purchase them or not. That is not forcing them in any sense of the word.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

They're forcing them to include the exhibition games in order to purchase a season ticket. It is forcing because they do not provide the option to buy a season ticket that does not include the overpriced and under-entertaining preseason games. Therefore, they are forcing those games on season ticket buyers because the vast majority of said season ticket buyers would rather not have to include the preseason games (I have no evidence of this but I'd be willing to bet folding money on the results of a survey).

6. LongTimeListener

It absolutely is not forcing them. Nobody is required to buy tickets. Don't want the exhibition games, don't buy tickets. Very simple. No forcing.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But then they can't buy the season tickets for the regular season games.

8. LongTimeListener

Right. If you don't want to pay the going price for a particular product, you don't get the product. Pretty simple concept.

9. Baron Scicluna

But they're separate products. A regular season game, and an exhibition game.

Or, to put it another way, if I want to buy a Big Mac at McDonald's, I shouldn't also have to buy an order of fries to go with it.

10. LongTimeListener

And if they said those were only sold in pairs, nobody would be "forcing" you to buy it. You could just not buy them.

11. Baron Scicluna

But you're still buying something of equal value.

The exhibition games are not equal value, but they're priced as such.

12. LongTimeListener

I'm very comfortable being on the other side of Baron on this.

Draft saved Draft deleted