1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Training Camp Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Jul 22, 2013.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Tebow's old QB coach is suggesting the CFL.
    Can we stop talking about this guy already.
    http://tracking.si.com/2013/09/01/tim-tebow-coach-cfl-patriots/?sct=hp_t2_a3&eref=sihp

2. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

F
    For a revamped IR, I would just make it so any injured player must miss at least two games before returning. Everything else is the player is out until he is healthy. That way you can't try and manipulate the process. It's amazing that the injured reserve all or nothing setup has lasted this long.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I thought they changed that a couple of years back to allow teams to activate a certain number of players from IR after 8 games. That seemed fair enough.

I understand the intent of the rules, because these cheaters will try every trick in the book. They'd put a guy on IR with a phantom injury to prevent having to waive him and let someone else pick him up. I think that's how it started. So the league said "if you don't want him on your active roster now, you can't come back and use him later". But I agree that sometimes a guy can be legitimately injured in September and be well enough to play by November.

4. joe king

joe king Active Member

IR used to mean you had to sit out at least four weeks. After those four weeks passed, you could return to practice but you didn't have to be activated for games.

Several teams took advantage of that to "redshirt" promising young players -- stashing them for the season with a minor injury (or a fake one) to get them a year of practice without having to use a roster spot on them or cut them. Joe Gibbs became notorious for stashing quarterbacks with the Redskins -- Mark Rypien, Stan Humphries and Cary Conklin are the ones I recall off the top of my head.

To keep teams from doing that, the league made IR last the entire season and players were not allowed to practice while on IR.

5. joe king

joe king Active Member

I believe the practice squad limit is eight players.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

How long has it been since a CFL team used a TE? I think Tebow would be entertaining to watch up here with the bigger field.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The New York Jets have solved their quarterback dilemma, signing Brady Quinn. No word yet who will start on Sunday, however.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This is wrong, and funny.

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2013/09/all-32-quarterbacks-as-their-team-name.html

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That signing clearly indicates that Sanchez is more banged up than The Jets have let on.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Morans!

Brian Bosworth News Results

Cowboys claim LB Bosworth off waivers from Giants
    Boston Herald 11 hours ago
    Cowboys claim LB Kyle Bosworth off waivers from Giants after trading DT...
    The Canadian Press via Yahoo! Canada News Sep 01 07:36pm
    Cowboys claim LB Kyle Bosworth off waivers from Giants
    KBTX 3 Bryan - College Station Sep 01 07:46pm

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It would not surprise me if Quinn beat out Sanchez and Smith for the starter's job by November.

Draft saved Draft deleted