1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Top 100 All-time: Anybody watching this?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

So I guess you don't believe Eric Dickerson belongs on the list since he was afraid to get hit?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I agree Elway should've been higher.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Oh, really? He was?

4. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

A lot of times he went out of bounds before getting tackled to avoid contact.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dickerson was in the 40s, I think. Former players of his era who talked about him insisted he never got proper due from fans and media. Made reasonable if not overwhelming case.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

His first few years were amazing, as good as anyone ever, but I was shocked when they mentioned he averaged more than 100 yards for game for his first 7 seasons. Granted, he piled up ridiculous numbers early, but he was damn good. In hindsight, the last few years of his career where he floated around and did next to nithing hurt his image more than they should.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I would put Elway and Brady ahead of Favre. Probably Elway first.

Having seen most of Lott in his prime and all of Woodson's career, I prefer Lott. Both definitely ahead of Sanders because they were willing to be physical.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So did Franco Harris. Both are still great backs.

I'll take Lott over any DB or safety ever. I'm not sure I'd put him on the level of Reggie White though, but it's tough to compare.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I remember when a lot of Steelers fans grumbled about Harris running out of bounds and lusted for Earl Campbell's brutal running style.
    Harris' career lasted far longer and was more productive, and he's still relatively healthy.
    It's a tragedy what has happened to Campbell's body.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

White will be higher than Lott, guaranteed. Lott was great, but was not the differencemaker White was.

The running-out-of-bounds thing was made an art by Franco, and I remember Jim Brown alluding to coming out of retirement because he didn't want a runner like Franco to break his record. Never heard anyone question Dickerson's toughness like that. And today, almost everyone runs out of bounds. Adrian Peterson is the only premier back that doesn't avoid contact along the sidelines.

Campbell is the role model for what happens when one NEVER avoids contact.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Can someone post the list so far? I can't access it where I am.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

http://top100.nfl.com/

Draft saved Draft deleted