1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Top 100 All-time: Anybody watching this?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

God, I fucking hate Peyton Manning.

(As for No. 1, I'd go with Brown or Rice. I'd consider putting Taylor ahead of Montana, too)

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Brown should be No. 1. I wouldn't put Rice ahead of him.

I wouldn't mind putting Reggie White ahead of Lott, though both are obviously in the top 20. I can see Lott as the top defensive back. Really, Night Train Lane is the only one I thought they might put ahead of him and he was already listed.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Ed Reed at No. 88? Really?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That jumped out at me, too. He's not even the best safety among his contemporaries, though Polamalu doesn't belong in the top 100, either. Not with all of the time he misses due to injuries.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would probably put Brown or Rice No. 1.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Mizzou, my guess is the top three will be 1. Brown 2. Montana 3. Rice, even though 2 and 3 should definitely be reversed.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wonder if they would try to put a major old-timer in there (Hutson or Graham) or a defensive player, but I think you're probably right. I certainly would not argue with anything that had those three in the top 3.

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

good call about Favre. he is a bit like Ripken, great player, but the streak and his toughness, grittiness just seem to make most of the media drop to their knees. also both guys don't seem to be the greatest teammates most think they are. not that they are bad teammates but i'd say both are a little more me and a little less team than many fans think.

as for brady if he's top 20, vinatieri should be top 100. did they put any kickers on there?

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No kickers. God, the NFL doesn't think kickers PLAY football.
    Mizzou, I am sure Baugh, Hutson and Graham will be in the top 10.
    My guesses 4-10: 4. Lawrence Taylor
    5. Walter Payton
    6. Graham
    7. Baugh
    8. Deacon Jones
    9. Butkus
    10. Hutson

10. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

After thinking about it again, this what my top 20 looks like,

QB- Joe Montana, Johnny Unitas, Sammie Baugh, Otto Graham, Brett Favre, Peyton Manning
    WR-Don Hutson, Jerry Rice
    RB-Walter Payton, Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, Bronco Nagurski
    OL-Anthony Munoz

DL-Reggie White, Joe Greene, Deacon Jones
    LB-Ray Lewis, D. Butkus, Lawrence Taylor
    DB-Ronnie Lott

11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

There you go with Deacon Jones again.
    Greene was better.
    Much.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Caught p last night. I haven't had much problem with the list, but Elway at 23 is too low, and as much as I like Brady, he in now way deserves to be ahead of Elway (he was 21). Hell, Elway deserves to be ahead of Favre.

No way Ronnie Lott deserves to be in the top 10, or even the top 20, IMO. I'm not even sure he's that much better than Woodson, who was a lot lower on the list. And while I'm talking DBs, Deion needs to STFU. In a league that prides itself on toughness, a guy who refused to tackle doesn't belong on this list at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted