1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Top 100 All-time: Anybody watching this?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Epic fail on my part in forgetting Jim Brown. I was trying not to just think of running backs and receivers from the last 30 years, which is why I included Grange and Bednarik. I really thought Grange would be higher.

Montana could easily be in the top 10. Hell, you could make a top 10 just of QBs, RBs, Jerry Rice and Dick Butkus and not really get a whole lot of argument.
    QBs- Unitas, Manning, Montana, Favre
    RBs-Brown, Sanders, Smith, Payton
    Jerry Rice, Dick Butkus.
    See?

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Barry Sanders did top the list of greatest short players in NFL history (had to be 5-8 or under). I missed it, but the very next show was most elusive backs; Good bet Sanders topped that list, too.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Bob Avellini is definitely a top 10er.

4. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

I don't mean for this to make me sound like Tommy from Quinzee, but if some of you are considering Peyton Manning for you top 10, I think Tom Brady's name needs to be mentioned as well.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

1.) Ben Roethlisberger
    2.) James Farrior
    3.) Troy Polamulu
    4.) James Harrison
    5.) Barry Foster
    6.) Louis Lipps
    7.) Lynn Swann
    8.) Terry Bradshaw
    9.) Dermontti Dawson
    10.) Najeh Davenport

[/zagoshe as outofplace]

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Favre is too high. a couple years ago (think it was after his season with the Jets), Kellerman made a good case that Favre is barely top 10 among all-time QBs. obviously it's not a scientific way of doing things, but i'd say Favre has to have more bad INTs than any other all-time great QB.

edit: Favre's career rating - 86.4. can't wait to see where he is. i'll just say right now he should definitely be behind Unitas, Montana, Marino, Manning and Elway.

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

you may have to get Lawrence Taylor in there too.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Brady was number 21, Sayers was 22. Don't forget Deacon Jones, Sammy Baugh and Otto Graham, none of whom have been named yet (at least I think Graham hasn't, I really didn't start watching regularly until number 50 or so).

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The fan ranks already listed are a joke.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What, you don't think Mike Singletary is the 15th-best player in NFL history? :)

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No John Stallworth, Joe Greene, Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, Mike Webster, Mike Webster and L.C. Greenwood? You FAIL, dickhead!

(By the way, Rod Woodson over Mel Blount? Did the NFL change any rules because Rod Woodson was too good?)

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I won't throw a fit if Montana isn't in the top 10, but we all know he will be.

If they put Jerry Rice, Dick Butkus, Lawrence Taylor, Jim Brown, Otto Graham, Don Hutson, Walter Payton, those type of players, I'd be fine with it.

If they start ranking him behind Favre, Manning and Brady, I think I'd take issue.

I'd love it if they picked a defensive player or an old-timer as No. 1, but I don't see them doing that. I think it will be Montana or Rice.

Draft saved Draft deleted