1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Top 100 All-time: Anybody watching this?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Oct 21, 2010.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://top100.nfl.com/

Maybe I'm treading on Ilmago's territory posting this, but has anybody else been watching this? NFL Network is running these shows counting down the top 100 players in NFL history. They are up to No. 21, Gale Sayers.

Some picks I don't agree with, but the episodes have been fun to watch if you are a football junkie.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I had been following it closely through the first 50 or so, but I've missed the last couple of shows. If Walter Payton isn't in the top 10, I'm boycotting the NFL. Some of the presentations are great. Steve Rushin did a really good job with the Alan Page one.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Its been hit and miss, but watchable hit and miss.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If Walter Payton isn't the Top 10, there's something really idiotic occurring with this list. Top 5 easy ... dunno where, but the top players could - could - be a great debate.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So who should be in the top 10? With so many players it's a tough call. In no particular order, I'd have to say:
    Walter Payton
    Johnny Unitas
    Dick Butkus
    Red Grange
    Emmitt Smith
    Jerry Rice
    Barry Sanders
    Peyton Manning
    Ronnie Lott
    Chuck Bednarik

(Kind of spaced on those last two; I was trying to think of defensive players and drew a blank)

6. Sam Mills 51

Mizzou might launch at all-out assault at you for not mentioning Joe Montana. But if he belongs in the debate - and he does - Dan Marino and Brett Favre won't be easy to overlook.

(And away we go ... )

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Jim Brown just defriended you. Grange and Bednarik were much farther down on the list, as they should be.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I missed many from 50-21, so I don't know if I missed Marino. Do not think he's in the top 20 all-time. Favre, either, but it's inevitable he'll get a nice blowjob from the NFL Network.

9. outofplace

Payton definitely has to be in the top 10.

Bednarik is at 35. Marino is No. 26. Red Grange is No. 48 and Emmitt Smith is No. 28, so that eliminates them from the top 10 (right or wrong).

Among those who have not been listed yet, so I'm sure they are in the top 20

Walter Payton
    Jim Brown
    Jerry Rice
    Peyton Manning
    Ronnie Lott
    Barry Sanders
    Dick Butkus
    Joe Montana
    Johnny Unitas
    Joe Greene
    Brett Favre

YGBFKM, check out the link I posted. It has the list from 21 to 100.

10. Sam Mills 51

Marino was No. 25, which I think was waaaaay too low. The critics are many - and some have points - but without question one of the 2-3 best pure passers.

No telling what kind of crap will be done regarding Favre. But "Night Train" Lane only got to 30? Seriously ...

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Lawrence Taylor?

12. outofplace

Not yet, so he's got to be in the top 20, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted