1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL talking to Google -- could Sunday Ticket go to YouTube?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Aug 21, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's what I wonder, Captain -- on the rare occasions I have used my receiver to call up something on ESPN3, it has been awful. I figure Google wouldn't make that kind of investment without the technology to back it, but I also wonder how far away it is from truly being ready.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Exactly. Google Fiber barely exists right now -- I've seen estimates it would cost $140 billion to roll out. But that has the potential to be an enormous moneymaker for Google, and a huge hit to AT&T, Comcast and the like unless they upgrade their lines pronto. I presume if Google bid for the NFL, there would be a lower subscription price for Fiber members, plus the ease of knowing the system can handle the stream.

3. Humungus

Humungus Member

how would this affect bars?

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Freelance IT guys will be in high demand on Sundays.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markrogowsky/2013/08/22/5-reasons-nfl-sunday-ticket-isnt-coming-to-youtube/?partner=yahootix

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Nos. 1 and 2 -- DirecTV needs Sunday Ticket and What Google Wants Isn't What the NFL Wants -- can be overcome. No. 3 -- the NFL Partners Don't Want What Google Wants -- also could be overcome. Money talks, etc. Nos. 4 and 5 -- about bandwidth issues and receivers -- are the big issue. Right now Google Fiber barely exists, and cable companies don't have to find ways to muck up a YouTube HD streaming experience because it already will be troublesome.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Something interesting about Google Fiber is that Kansas City and Austin are two of the three test markets. It's also one of the relatively few places to get both Longhorn and Jayhawk Network content. That leads me to believe attracting sports fans with games they can't see elsewhere is big part of the plan.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's entirely possible too that Google would be thinking of the consumer in a different way than any of us are used to. We all see football as a big-screen experience, and it is. But what if it became a stand-alone experience that you could watch on any device? Truthfully, if my team isn't playing I am as likely to be sitting in front of the computer checking fantasy scores and posting here as I am to be watching the action. And that's if I'm even home, which is a 50-50 proposition because of various kid and family events (where I'd maybe be able to sneak a peek at the game on my phone if it were through YouTube).

I'd have my normal cable package for the regular stuff and I'd have the Sunday Ticket for the extras. In time, the bandwidth and technology would equal out.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It's odd that somebody would be able to write as an authority on this subject for a publication such as Forbes and seemingly not realize Google is getting into the cable TV business.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

It's also attracting people who like watching shitty football apparently.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

DirecTV was a strong, viable business before Sunday Ticket. Why would losing Sunday Ticket mean the end of DirecTV? Not everyone wants to watch television on a 3-inch screen.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How quickly could Google Fiber be available in most markets? It sounds incredible. I'm curious about how long it will take to be available nationally and even more curious what it will cost.

Google could use NFL ticket to sell a shitload of other products, TVs, tablets, phones, Fiber, etc...

Draft saved Draft deleted