1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL talking to Google -- could Sunday Ticket go to YouTube?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Aug 21, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://allthingsd.com/20130820/is-google-ready-to-buy-its-way-into-tv-with-an-nfl-deal/?mod=atd_homepage_carousel

DirecTV's deal runs out after 2014. Google has more than $50B in cash, so the $1B annual price tag is nothing. NFL and Google execs are meeting.

Who knows whether the NFL is just dancing with someone else to make DirecTV jealous, but moving the package to YouTube would be about the biggest thing ever in transitioning the TV world to the Internet.

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

This kind of thing is inevitable, in my opinion. Not that this particular deal is inevitable, but something like it. And when it happens, it will bring about a sea change.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You would see a shitload of people buying new TVs, or Apple TV or using their video game consoles...

I hope it doesn't happen.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If this happens, RIP DirectTV. The thing for Google is, it creates a content stream people will actually pay for. Plus, the NFL will make a shitload more because people won't have to buy a satellite system -- they can pay a subscription fee and just sit down and watch it on whatever device they want.

For that matter, why couldn't Amazon Prime do the same thing? Or Netflix?

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Wouldn't make more sense for Amazon Prime, or Netflix? You'd have to sign up for their service first, then purchase Sunday Ticket, as you do with DirecTV.

The additional subscribers would be a big deal.

But, don't we all already get YouTube?

Would they use this as part of building a premium, subscription service?

7. YouTube has paid subscription options. Willow Cricket uses it for its U.S. rights to series including The Ashes and Indian Premier League.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

But, do you already have to subscribe to a pay service to order them?

I have to assume a pretty large portion of the 2 million Sunday Ticket subscribers are DirecTV customers just so they can buy the Sunday Ticket.

While Google could presumably make money off of it, they wouldn't be leveraging another service the way DirecTV does, unless they come up with something new.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think as someone else noted, Google Fiber would be the service they'd be drawing NFL fans to. Sunday ticket and broadband that is 100x faster than current providers? People would flock to Fiber.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

How so? They are paying $1 billion a year for a package that earns them $500 million in subscriber fees (plus some additional money from mobile).

Only 10 percent of DirecTV subscribers have Sunday Ticket (and how many of those were given away as promotions or by the retention department?)

11. I don't see Google winning the rights. There was plenty of media gossip Apple and Google were going to bid on Premier League rights and that didn't happen. Neither company has a great product o connect TVs to the Internet. Apple TV is OK, but the quality of the HD streams is still noticeably worse than cable or satellite.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I see a DirecTV/Cable split coming for Sunday Ticket, just like DirecTV allowed RedZone to go to cable.

People still want their NFL on their 60-inch TV screens.

Draft saved Draft deleted