1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Survivor league ($15)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jay Sherman, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Hi all, it's been a while. I'm no longer in sports journalism, so I only come back to this board every once in a while. Hope everybody's doing well. And mods, feel free to move this thread if it's not in the right place, or lock it if this isn't allowed.

Anyway, I figured I don't know of many concentrated groups of sports nuts besides SJ, so I thought I'd extend an offer to anyone who's interested to join an NFL Survivor league that I'm running. It's $15 to enter. PM me if you're interested, and I'll add you to the list.

If you've never played before, Survivor is really simple. Starting Week 1, you pick one team to win. Straight up, no point spreads or anything. Once you've used that team, you can't use them again. If the team you choose loses, you're out. Winner take all.

Other rules you should know:
    1. One entry per person.
    2. You must pick the outright WINNER (No point spreads) for one NFL game each week.
    3. A team may only be selected once during the season (i.e., if you pick the Vikings in Week 1, you may not select the Vikings again for the remainder of the contest).
    4. You continue in the pool until a loss (or tie) is suffered, then you're out. YES, TIES ARE LOSSES!
    5. Picks must be submitted BEFORE THE WEEKLY DEADLINE. I'll send out a weekly e-mail to remind you about it.

If, by Week 17, there are multiple people still alive, the pot is chopped evenly, or you can agree on a playoff tiebreaker system to decide the winner.

I've got almost 60 signed up so far, and looking to get this up to around 100 people altogether.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Survivor pools are the biggest waste of money in gambling history.

Lemme think about it. :)

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

For some of you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sonner bets on sunrises. "The West is due!" He'll be in on this.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I was in this one pick em league last year....$10 per week. Pick every game against the spread. Winner takes all. Too bad there were like 450 people in the pool. You'd have to get no worse than 15 of 16 games correct to even have a shot.

So I stand corrected. THAT kind of pool is the biggest waste of money in gambling history. Survival pools are second.

I'll likely do both again this year.

6. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Well, if you decide to, shoot me a PM. I need to gather up the money by August 31st, so the clock is tickin'. We've got almost 75 signed up now, which makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

7. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Bump. We've got 80 signed up, and looking for more. If you're not registered here or you're just a lurker, feel free to e-mail me at latter.sam AT gmail DOT com

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Are you like the guys in Rat Race? The ones that bet on maids hanging from curtains and everything else.

Draft saved Draft deleted