1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL shortens draft

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hank_Scorpio, Oct 24, 2007.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

Good point, foaf. That placement would mean more viewers. But again, the product would be even more watered down than it already is. No players from Super Bowl teams at all, and for everyone else, who's gonna want to drag their ass to, say, Detroit, or even New Orleans or Arizona, to play a meaningless game in the middle of January when they could be recharging after five or more months of football? Pretty soon, you'll have more alternates playing than Pro Bowl selections.

2. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Maybe they can let the winning conference get home field advantage for the Super Bowl. ::)

I'm surprised no comments have been made about having less Berman as a result of shortening the time between picks.

Moving the Pro Bowl to the week before the Super Bowl takes a slot that could have gone to the college national championship game if they go to a playoff scenario (and eventually I think they will). Or at least means they would have to share the weekend with the Pro Bowl. Would seem to be a near perfect scenario to have the college championship one weekend and the Super Bowl the next.

Edit: Idaho beats the Berman buzzer....

3. Oh, I agree the product will be watered down. But they have to do something to get people to watch. For me, the season ends after the Super Bowl.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Want to make sure guys show up for the Pro Bowl? Pay 'em.

Better yet, how about a winner take all contest? Your team loses? No money for you.

5. If there's a possibility they don't get paid, they won't show up.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

And who's going to want to risk a potential career ending injury for a one-time payday?

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Pacman Jones?

8. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

I'll believe that when I see it. It seems to me that by the time of the actual draft those windbags have already been chattering nonsense for 6 months with pre-draft, mock draft segments. When the actual draft airs I simply mute them. There's no need for the sound anyway..unless you're in the middle of a drinking game based on how many times "upside" or "potetntial" or "promising" is uttered by one of the foofs.

Draft saved Draft deleted